What book are you reading now / or recommend?

I realised a few years ago that I was an alcoholic. They give you a questionnaire to fill in to gauge the depths of your depravity. The only box I ticked was the amount I drank and the frequency. I was a functioning alcoholic. I abstained for nearly two years before I fell off the wagon. It wasn't a dramatic fall from grace, but it was still a failure. I no longer drink every day, back then I used to drink the equivalent of 8 pints a day, every day without fail.No matter what time I finished work or got in the pub, I knocked back a gallon. In fact I think we worked out that apart from when I was in hospital or taking anti-biotics, I had done about 25 years of getting pissed every night. These days I drink about 3 or 4 days a week. Admittedly in larger quantities than the old 8 pint rule, but I can have nights or even a week or so off, which was something I never could have done a few years ago.
I worked out the other day that it had been over four years since I last went a night without atleast two or three glasses of wine.

I never get pissed as a rule but I do enjoy the taste. It's also my main source of calories these days.

Back to the books, just finished the 2nd Castor novel. Now do I move to the third or read Blue Moon Rising?

just finished the 2nd Castor novel. Now do I move to the third or read Blue Moon Rising?

I've been enjoying the Castor books immensely, but Blue Moon Rising is a great read. I'm currently on the 5th Castor, when I've finished this I'm going right back to the start of the Sharpe series.
Have you read any Tom Sharpe? First one I read of his was in a hospital day room about 30 years ago. It was called The Throwback and I picked it up because there was nothing else to do. I spent the rest of the day laughing out loud. Wilt and Riotous Assembly are also side splittingly funny.

Saw the film the other night, very funny. I read the book years ago along with other Sharpe books.

Great read

Didn't Griff Rhys Jones play him in the film? I haven't seen it in ages. I'm sure I remember Jim MacDonald from corrie in it too.

I've been enjoying the Castor books immensely, but Blue Moon Rising is a great read. I'm currently on the 5th Castor, when I've finished this I'm going right back to the start of the Sharpe series.
Have you read any Tom Sharpe? First one I read of his was in a hospital day room about 30 years ago. It was called The Throwback and I picked it up because there was nothing else to do. I spent the rest of the day laughing out loud. Wilt and Riotous Assembly are also side splittingly funny.
The Sharpe series being different to Sharpe by Bernard Cornwell?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.