What book are you reading now / or recommend?

I've never read them although I normally enjoy Cornwell.

You recommend then?

Very much so, personally I think it's his best work. It does however get a bit tricky when you think about which order to read them. The first one he wrote was Sharpe's Rifles, but then about ten years later he wrote 4 prequels, 3 of which were set in India and the 4th was about his journey home(via The Battle of Trafalgar. I enjoyed all those prequels, especially Trafalgar. I got the impression with some of the later ones, that they were being ghost written or he'd simply lost his enthusiasm for the character and was just writing them for the money.
So if you read them in chronological order, rather than the order they were published, there is a huge gulf in the quality of the writing. A big enough gulf to make you give up on them, which would be a shame because there are some fantastic books.

I would recommend reading the first 5 in chronological order, and then the rest in the order they were published. That way you get the best out of the series and when it turns to shit you can give it a miss. Apart from the first 4(chronologically) there really is no need for the later books which were shoehorned into the series.

I've never read them although I normally enjoy Cornwell.

You recommend then?

The Sharpe books are brilliant. Battles on a scale the old tv series could never compete with.

Still Cornwells best stuff.

If you like them I would also recommend Patrick O'Brians "Aubrey/Maturin" series. Again on another level to Russell Crows Master and Commander film.

'The five people you meet in heaven' by Mitch Albom. One of the best books i've ever read, would recommend it to anyone. Wonderful book.

Anyone read any books on JonBenet Ramsey? Thinking of picking up Foreign Faction by James Kolar and Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation by Steve Thomas.

Only problem is they are both priced at £17 on Amazon for the paperback which I find a tad outrageous.

The Sellout by Paul Beatty. Won the Booker Prize last year, and am really enjoying it so far.

Steve jones -lonely boy (sex pistols founder and lead guitarist)
Just findished this after after receiving as a xmas present.

Great funny read about 70s London and his rise from petty thief to sex pistols fame and failure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.