What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Revisiting this, excellent read

517wK0nJmtL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've just been offered this collection from Audible.

44924b05a315b4c2c15561c0972a6d1b.jpg

I've not come across this series before. Any thoughts anyone?

if you're into the original Holmes - the uncollected Sherlock Holmes is a collection of anecdotes/short stories etc that go into the whole background of the character in great detail

the origins of the second world war - AJP Taylor
The Berlin Bunker - James P O'Donnell gives a great insight into the last days

Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell. A historical yarn set in London, about an aspiring actor, Richard Shakespeare, who performs plays written by his older brother, at the advent of the theatre as a performance venue. There are some laugh out loud moments, and it's a decent enough, light-hearted diversion.

Last edited:
Pilgrim Spy by Tom Shore. The true story of a deniable SAS veteran operating behind the iron curtain in Communist East Germany at the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Great book. Highly recommended.

Nick Harkaway's books have been getting better with each one I've read but his latest, Gnomon, takes things to another level entirely. A dystopian near-future Britain is the setting and using themes of steganography, surveillance and Greek mythology to investigate technology and its uses in a modern society. Similar stylistically speaking to Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell in the way it uses multiple stories to tell the whole thing. Best book I've read in the last couple of years and definitely one I'm going to have to reread at some point.

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. This classic is on many people's list of must read books. I couldn't see the fascination to be honest. It's essentially a story about some tragic relationships, culminating in the untimely death of the eponymous main character.

I Spy by Tom Marcus. This is a follow up book to the author's autobiography about his life in the military and then as a MI5 undercover counter-terrorism operator. It goes into further detail about his life in MI5, and includes details on mental health struggles.

This is a fast paced book. It takes you right into the action, offering good insight into undercover work and the dangers the public is being protected from.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.