What book are you reading now / or recommend?

mackenzie said:
mancitygaz said:
mackenzie said:
Just finished 'Not Dead Yet' by Peter James.
Loved the first two or three books in the Roy Grace series but I started to get a bit bored with the last one and this one isn't doing it any favours either.
I'm thoroughly bored with the whole Sandy bit and he needs to wrap it up now.
Spot on. I've read all of the Roy Grace series and they just get progressively worse after the first three.

Sad, isn't it.
It's pretty obvious he has been told to spin it out, for as long as he can, for the money.
It was a great concept at the beginning but now I couldn't give a sod about Sandy.
Even when her character resurfaces I'm bored.
Dead Simple was one of the best books I've ever read and I think I read the rest of them in the hope that they would get somewhere near it, sadly they didn't. How many has there been now, six or seven?

They've gone from the first being fantastic to the last being utter shite with each one getting slightly worse, which is quite an achievement.

mancitygaz said:
mackenzie said:
mancitygaz said:
Spot on. I've read all of the Roy Grace series and they just get progressively worse after the first three.

Sad, isn't it.
It's pretty obvious he has been told to spin it out, for as long as he can, for the money.
It was a great concept at the beginning but now I couldn't give a sod about Sandy.
Dead Simple was one of the best books I've ever read and I think I read the rest of them in the hope that they would get somewhere near it, sadly they didn't. How many has there been now, six or seven?

They've gone from the first being fantastic to the last being utter shite with each one getting slightly worse, which is quite an achievement.

Agreed.
Even the big build up/chase at the end is nowhere near as good as it was.
I remember actually sweating buckets during the endings of the first few books, but it all seems too contrived now.

The Good Soldier -Ford Madox Ford.
If he's such a good soldier- lets have a bit more soldiering and a little less thinking...

Mr Nice and Señor Nice by Howard Marks, both cracking reads.

Also enjoy James Rollins sigma force series if anyone else hasn't read them I'd say give em a try.

mackenzie said:
mancitygaz said:
mackenzie said:
Sad, isn't it.

Agreed.
Even the big build up/chase at the end is nowhere near as good as it was.
I remember actually sweating buckets during the endings of the first few books, but it all seems too contrived now.

Glad it's not just me who thinks he is losing it with these books. The latest one was ridiculous. I hope he's not going the same way as Val Mcdermid, her last four books have been dreadful.

poh said:
Billy Spurdle said:
"Swan Song" by Robert McCammon - for about the fifth time. Yes, it's that good. About 20 years old now but remains the best book I've EVER read. If you love King's "The Stand", you'll love this & probably even more.

McCammon is criminally underrated - his more recent historical novels "Speaks the Nightbird" & "The Queen of Bedlam" are also superb.

Sounds interesting,could you give me a quick run down of swan song,I do like Stephen king so would be interested in that style of writing.

Like "The Stand", it's set in America after most of the population has been wiped out. But it's by a nuclear war (popular in the 80's) rather than plague. It's a BIG book - mine is 956 pages - but get through the first 50 pages & it'll feel like a lot, lot less....

Check out the Amazon reviews - they can do it much better than I ever could.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.