What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Billy Spurdle said:
poh said:
Billy Spurdle said:
"Swan Song" by Robert McCammon - for about the fifth time. Yes, it's that good. About 20 years old now but remains the best book I've EVER read. If you love King's "The Stand", you'll love this & probably even more.

McCammon is criminally underrated - his more recent historical novels "Speaks the Nightbird" & "The Queen of Bedlam" are also superb.

Sounds interesting,could you give me a quick run down of swan song,I do like Stephen king so would be interested in that style of writing.

Like "The Stand", it's set in America after most of the population has been wiped out. But it's by a nuclear war (popular in the 80's) rather than plague. It's a BIG book - mine is 956 pages - but get through the first 50 pages & it'll feel like a lot, lot less....

Check out the Amazon reviews - they can do it much better than I ever could.

Cheers mate,just down loaded it for my kindle,looking forward to starting it tonight.

Billy Spurdle said:
Like "The Stand", it's set in America after most of the population has been wiped out. But it's by a nuclear war (popular in the 80's) rather than plague. It's a BIG book - mine is 956 pages - but get through the first 50 pages & it'll feel like a lot, lot less....

One of my favourite books of all time. I'm not normally a King fan but The Stand is just an outstanding piece of fiction.

poh said:
Billy Spurdle said:
poh said:
Sounds interesting,could you give me a quick run down of swan song,I do like Stephen king so would be interested in that style of writing.

Cheers mate,just down loaded it for my kindle,looking forward to starting it tonight.

No problem, hope you like it.

stony said:
Billy Spurdle said:

One of my favourite books of all time. I'm not normally a King fan but The Stand is just an outstanding piece of fiction.

Agree, must read The Stand again - may even try the uncut version (1400+ pages!!). But McCammon's "Swan Song" still shades it for me....

Just started Cogan's Trade by George V Higgins, about the underworld hunt for a gang of thieves who robbed a Mob-protected poker game in 1970s Boston.
The film version is called Killing Them Softly and is out on September 21, starring Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini and Ray Liotta. Supposed to be very good.

Billy Spurdle said:
stony said:
Billy Spurdle said:

Agree, must read The Stand again - may even try the uncut version (1400+ pages!!). But McCammon's "Swan Song" still shades it for me....

Just finished "The wind through the keyhole" Kings new Dark Tower novel.

I've finally got round to starting "The Stand". Already hooked!

jimmy blue shoes said:
Billy Spurdle said:
stony said:

Just finished "The wind through the keyhole" Kings new Dark Tower novel.

I've finally got round to starting "The Stand". Already hooked!

Ive read a few by Stephen King, and always enjoy them until the end, which Ive found to be a let down. Without spoiling it - does the Stand ending cut the mustard?
If so its 1pence + postage on Amazon

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.