What book are you reading now / or recommend?

I'm alright with Cussler as I don't really read his books looking for a great character arc nor any form of literary genius. I suppose I read these in the same way that people read Barbara Cartland novels; they are an interesting idea in which we root for the laughably named Dirk Pitt against the forces of evil and might pick up the odd historical notion. An easy breezy read on an interesting subject, sort of like a fictional Clarkson or sucking a lemon to refresh the palette

Man In The Empty Suit by Sean Ferrell.

He's a time traveler who spends every birthday (365 subjective days) at the same time/location with the other versions of himself. Then one turns up dead. He's the victim, suspect and investigator. Really interesting. :)

chabal said:
Some of Clive Cusslers ideas are good but his prose is shocking and character development is non existent.
I loved his earlier stuff with Dirk Pitt, but he seems to be running out of ideas.

Murder in Mississippi by John Safran- gripping read thus far! here is a synopsis:

When filming his TV series Race Relations, John Safran spent an uneasy couple of days with one of Mississippi's most notorious white supremacists. A year later, he heard that the man had been murdered – and what was more, the killer was black.

At first the murder seemed a twist on the old Deep South race crimes. But then more news rolled in. Maybe it was a dispute over money, or most intriguingly, over sex. Could the infamous racist actually have been secretly gay, with a thing for black men? Did Safran have the last footage of him alive? Could this be the story of a lifetime? Seizing his Truman Capote moment, he jumped on a plane to cover the trial.

Over six months, Safran got deeper and deeper into the South, becoming entwined in the lives of those connected with the murder – white separatists, black campaigners, lawyers, investigators, neighbours, even the killer himself. And the more he talked with them, the less simple the crime, and the world, seemed.

Murder in Mississippi is a brilliantly innovative true-crime story. Taking us places only he can, Safran paints an engrossing, revealing portrait of a dead man, his murderer, the place they lived and the process of trying to find out the truth about anything.

Henry Chinaski said:
Police - Jo Nesbo.

Brilliant.
Read all his Harry Holes up till that one. Lost a bit more sympathy for Harry with every book, hope I'll agree with you when I get round to reading it.<br /><br />-- Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:42 pm --<br /><br />
Damocles said:
I was recommended the book by a friend who enjoyed the writing style, and I'm sure the 2014 edition is very good. Unfortunately the 2004 edition was the Kindle one and claimed that Pluto was a planet, the Universe might come to a Big Crunch and that we don't know the topology of the Universe all of which is incorrect and all of which came in the first couple of chapters.

Sort of skimmed through it after that. The one thing that science books have to be above all else is accurate or it is a waste of time.
I enjoyed his Walk in the Woods, very funny.

I'm currently reading Morrissey's autobiography and have to say as a fan of the music of both the Smiths and Morrissey, that his book is utterly fucking dreadful.

48 pages in a 450 page book are dedicated to the court case with Mike Joyce. Nothing is ever his fault and he doesn't seem to be happy about anything other than one-upmanship.

citykev28 said:
I'm currently reading Morrissey's autobiography and have to say as a fan of the music of both the Smiths and Morrissey, that his book is utterly fucking dreadful.

48 pages in a 450 page book are dedicated to the court case with Mike Joyce. Nothing is ever his fault and he doesn't seem to be happy about anything other than one-upmanship.
We already know what a twat he is (apart from MES, God bless 'im)

citykev28 said:

I'm reading it too and think it's a great read. That said I was never a massive fan so perhaps I approached it with less expectation.

starbuck chronicles - bernard cornwell

american civil war historical fiction

enjoying the series muchly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.