What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Balti said:
starbuck chronicles - bernard cornwell

american civil war historical fiction

enjoying the series muchly

I absolutely adore Cornwell's work but I struggled to get into the Starbuck chronicles. I have them in a box somewhere gathering dust and I've tried a couple of times to read them, but it just aint happening.

His take on the Arthurian legend is very good, and his current ongoing series about Alfred the great is excellent.

stony said:
Balti said:
starbuck chronicles - bernard cornwell

american civil war historical fiction

enjoying the series muchly

I absolutely adore Cornwell's work but I struggled to get into the Starbuck chronicles. I have them in a box somewhere gathering dust and I've tried a couple of times to read them, but it just aint happening.

His take on the Arthurian legend is very good, and his current ongoing series about Alfred the great is excellent.

It really is. It led to me doing a bit of reading about him, he lives up to his name, what an inspirational and visionary man he was.

Just finished reading Scalped, a comic book series based on a native american reservation. Really good.

Just started reading the MPD Psycho Manga. Pretty insane.

Last book was When the whistle blows. The story of the footballers battalion in the great war by Bruce Ruddock.
Currently reading City Baby by Ross Lomax. Bass player with Brum punk band GBH.
next one is the Auschwitz goalkeeper. The story British POW's in the camp.

Reading the latest Jeffrey Deaver Lincoln Rhyme book. It's dragging. Not overly impressed.

mackenzie said:
citykev28 said:
I'm currently reading Morrissey's autobiography and have to say as a fan of the music of both the Smiths and Morrissey, that his book is utterly fucking dreadful.

48 pages in a 450 page book are dedicated to the court case with Mike Joyce. Nothing is ever his fault and he doesn't seem to be happy about anything other than one-upmanship.

I'm reading it too and think it's a great read. That said I was never a massive fan so perhaps I approached it with less expectation.

There are fantastic bits such as the description of Manchester on the first couple of pages and the ghost story on Saddleworth Moor but he sort of skips over the best bits of the Smiths, focusing more on the failings of the record company than how things actually came together.

As I said in my previous post, the huge section on the court case is tedious and he repeats himself on almost all of the 48 pages in question.

There is a hatchet job review of the moz book here
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theomnivore.com/a-a-gill-on-autobiography-by-morrissey-the-sunday-times/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theomnivore.com/a-a-gill-on- ... day-times/</a>

Just read The Loch Of The Green Corrie by Andrew Greig,
Its a book about the authors friend, the poet Norman MacCaig and the far north of Scotland.

Damocles said:
I'm alright with Cussler as I don't really read his books looking for a great character arc nor any form of literary genius. I suppose I read these in the same way that people read Barbara Cartland novels; they are an interesting idea in which we root for the laughably named Dirk Pitt against the forces of evil and might pick up the odd historical notion. An easy breezy read on an interesting subject, sort of like a fictional Clarkson or sucking a lemon to refresh the palette

Same here. Tend to read on breaks at work so go for stuff that's easy to get into and can be put down but the thread picked up again quite quickly.

Usually go for Clive Cussler. Am halfway through the Sharpe series. Like detective novels especially Roy Grace written by Peter James and DCI Banks by Peter Robinson (ignore the risible and badly miscast tv series). Also the odd Terry Pratchett - have to be careful in my selection there though as find some are great and others terrible.

The Testament of Mary by Colm Tobin.

Was hoping for a book that suggested a refreshing and human take on a voice that is lost in time. However, it didn't and moreover it didn't in a big way.
Mary having sore feet from her shoes doesn't make for interesting reading and doesn't make her more human in the slightest.
It was so disappointing and all I thought after it was 'he's not the Messiah he's just a naughty boy'

It was a great idea but really poorly delivered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.