What City's success means to you?

I'm 42 and have been a blue since 7. I was the only City supporter I knew when I was growing up in Stafford and then Oxford - the song words 'standing alone' really meant something. My dad was a Preston NE fan but always took me to main Rd several games a season. Apart from the play off final I cant remember us winning a sausage.

Most of my emotion came out during the Semi against the rags - god knows what the neighbors thought - I was literally screaming at the TV at the top of my voice.

I'm going to London on the 14th - on my own. If we finally win a trophy it will be very special and will I think give me a sense of completion after all these years. I really don't think I'll need to scream my throat out again. Then again I could be wrong.

There are literally too many things to post. Growing up as a kid in school in the 90's when United were winning everything and City just went from one disaster to another, it was bloody torture at times! For my family who are all staunch blues and who brought me up a blue and took me on to the kippax on their shoulders so I could watch my heroes. For all of those players down the years that have been hurt through the desperation of our own fans for success (Edghill for example). For Paul Lake, Colin Bell, Mike Summerbee and all the other legends of our club. For the '99 playoff team. For the fans who have turned out through thin and thinner and who made the semi final one of the happiest days of my life and created the kind of carnival, street party atmosphere that games at wembley should all be about. For those dark days in some of footballs worst stadiums against teams that I'd never even heard of (I remember the chants of 'where the fuck is Gillingham' in the North Stand before we were due to play them away in the league match not the playoff. For Maine rd. For Malcolm, Neil, Joe and all those other legends that will sadly not be with us to celebrate. For Helen and her bells. For the old dear who is surely not with us any longer who used to stand at the same gate as me on the kippax and call all the players David or Paul or Gary and never use their surnames. Perhaps most importantly for Bert Trautmann who almost lost his life playing in a final for us 55 years ago.

Hopefully this will be next weekend and I'll be there with my best mate Weejh to celebrate and reminisce about all the bad times we've been through to get here.

I might have gone a little too far with all this but I've just spent the last 2 hours watching videos and reading about Seve Ballesteros so feeling a little emotional.
Rammy Blue summed it up perfectly though; it will be decades of pain wiped away in an instance.

When I started this thread we were all on a high.

I was enjoying my kids reactions as new players came in and the clubs profile was changing.

At the same time me and my dad were in an entirely new place together.

Even in the good old days City were not seen as the richest club in the WORLD or the biggest hitters in the way they are now so it was new for him as it was fo me.

The conversations we had were not about relegation, Bradbury or Samaras now. Unbelievable stuff.

It really hits me hard to know that when I started this thread we, as a family were expecting to finally share the good times in terms of trophies and everything else.

But dad died last month, before the semi-final and so the trip to Wembley was so close it seems crueler than ever.

He really would be bursting with pride, excitement and more than a little doubt and anxiety ;-)

But its also great as well to realise how many people will be able to finally share the success with there dads and kids and neighbours and the wider City family.

fbloke said:
When I started this thread we were all on a high.

I was enjoying my kids reactions as new players came in and the clubs profile was changing.

At the same time me and my dad were in an entirely new place together.

Even in the good old days City were not seen as the richest club in the WORLD or the biggest hitters in the way they are now so it was new for him as it was fo me.

The conversations we had were not about relegation, Bradbury or Samaras now. Unbelievable stuff.

It really hits me hard to know that when I started this thread we, as a family were expecting to finally share the good times in terms of trophies and everything else.

But dad died last month, before the semi-final and so the trip to Wembley was so close it seems crueler than ever.

He really would be bursting with pride, excitement and more than a little doubt and anxiety ;-)

But its also great as well to realise how many people will be able to finally share the success with there dads and kids and neighbours and the wider City family.

Really sorry to hear about your loss mate. That is cruel timing indeed. I'm sure he knew what was coming though :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.