What Conspiracy Theories Do You Believe In?

I've scanned through the whole thread and can't believe no one has said the cancer cure one yet.

I believe a cure for at least some forms of cancer has been identified but is being kept from the public. We know enough about giant pharmaceutical companies to know their is no way they would give up the billions it costs to treat cancer rather than cure it.
It's an interesting one. It staggers me that we can land man made satellites on meteors hurtling through the universe but we can't find a cure for cancer.

I used to love a good conspiracy theory , I found some like the moon being fake even thought provoking and a example that an argument could be made against pretty much everything we know to be true. Then the internet happened and people started to take them all seriously and buy into every one of them that gets banded about.

I do believe my TV is listening to me however.
If the moon isn't real then reports of Elvis driving a bus there must also be fake!

It's an interesting one. It staggers me that we can land man made satellites on meteors hurtling through the universe but we can't find a cure for cancer.

That’s because cancer - while we talk about it in this singular fashion - isn’t one illness. It’s an enormous range of literally hundreds of illnesses impacting different cells, organs, genes etc. Some of these we have very efficacious treatments for that allow us to cure in the vast majority of instances but others are much harder to treat. Testicular cancer has a 98% survival rate, pancreatic cancer is more like 1%. And these survival rates are getting better all the time. Often rarer forms are more dangerous because we have a lower volume of people to trial treatments on.

It’s not much different to the reason we haven’t cured the common cold. Because that would require finding treatments which work on hundreds of different bacterial and viral strains.

Landing a specific satellite on a specific meteor is one singular (very hard) problem to solve. A universal cure for cancer is more like building a thousand satellites that can all land successfully on a thousand very different meteors.

That’s because cancer - while we talk about it in this singular fashion - isn’t one illness. It’s an enormous range of literally hundreds of illnesses impacting different cells, organs, genes etc. Some of these we have very efficacious treatments for that allow us to cure in the vast majority of instances but others are much harder to treat. Testicular cancer has a 98% survival rate, pancreatic cancer is more like 1%. And these survival rates are getting better all the time. Often rarer forms are more dangerous because we have a lower volume of people to trial treatments on.

It’s not much different to the reason we haven’t cured the common cold. Because that would require finding treatments which work on hundreds of different bacterial and viral strains.

Landing a specific satellite on a specific meteor is one singular (very hard) problem to solve. A universal cure for cancer is more like building a thousand satellites that can all land successfully on a thousand very different meteors.
What an answer!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.