What did Manchester City gain in exchange for Maine Road?

Metal Biker

Team supported
Manchester City (and McLaren F1)
What did Manchester City gain in exchange for giving the Council Maine Road?
(wouldn't fit in the thread title)

Now before you leap down my neck (forget tin hat, i've got Mr T in a tank) and say 'COMS' or 'A Better Stadium' i'll try and explain what i mean.

City owned Maine Road and the land we moved to COMS and gave Maine Road to the Council. So did we give up land we owned to move to an area we now had to rent?

Just looking for answers that will clear this up because i can't understand why we'd need to rent having given the Council our land. Why wasn't a like for like swap possible?

It may have been land but it was in the middle of a shit hole.

Just to clarify:

I'm not moaning about 'having to pay the Council' It's sort of heartwarming to know the Blues are helping projects in Manchester, our city.

But at the same time lament that no matter how much we put into the stadium, it'll never be truly ours like Maine Road was. Was The City Of Manchester Stadium and plot of land worth more than Maine Road?

Were we screwed by losing something we owned to something we now rent?
It's like giving away your old Rolls by getting a brand new hire car to me.

would you want us to swap back to what we had?

we have never looked back at MR imo - sad as it was to leave then i think we have created new history in moving to Eastlands.

Immaculate Pasta said:
It may have been land but it was in the middle of a shit hole.

Me thinks you might regret that statement.

I for one had a happy childhood in that particular 'shit hole' !

yaya is god said:
would you want us to swap back to what we had?

we have never looked back at MR imo - sad as it was to leave then i think we have created new history in moving to Eastlands.

That's not the point i'm getting at mate.

Moving to COMS was an immensily important and profitable decision for the Blues. I'm just wondering were we screwed out of something extra in the process.
It's easy in hindsight to say 'well we got the Sheikh' but i can't grasp how the Club and Council thought "you give us Maine Road, and you can rent COMS"
How long did it take the club to get a bleedin' Illuminated Sign reading 'Manchester City Football Club'?

I feel this 'can't do anything to the stadium without the Councils apporval' could be a hindrance in some way.

Let's be honest, at 'the time' the land and the housing stock around Maine Road/Moss Side was worth jack shit. Obviously nobody knew what was about to happen with land and house prices. If we had know we'd probably have drove a harder bargain. Then again, land and housing prices only recently crashed, and are slowly climbing back up. I think we got a good deal in the end.

BTW. Would ADUG have bought us if we were still at MR? I think not. It was meant to be.

City didn't really have a choice when the chance to move to Eastlands came around. Maine Road could (and should have been a great stadium) but lack of money, Peter Swales small mind and finally the locals kicking off meant it could never happen.

It's a shame but we have to look forward now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.