What does our squad need for the coming season?

One of the developments I'd like to see next season is us to be able to play regularly without Haaland, so that when he is missing through injury or lack of form, and both will come, we already have the alternative ready. Some of our most intensive pressing came against Chelsea in the FA Cup, when we actually gave them the ball and let Foden, Alvarez, and Palmer terrorise them. I'd like to see a little more of that.

Another development would be to find a system where we can rest Rodri and rely more on speed in the counter. Arguably, our best half of domestic football came in the first half against that lot, when we just rampaged up and down the park, with no proper holding midfielder. Guardiola always appears wary about such games because he prizes control over the ball rather than chaos these types of games bring, but they do make wonderfully enjoyable spectacles.

In short, I'd like to see us become just a little less reliant on Haaland and Rodri. For that to happen we need a little more mobility in the center of the park: Veiga and Szoboszlai.

The squad planning now should be done with one eye when Guardiola might leave, assuming that to be summer 2025. As such, we should be identifying young talents that he can successfully mould over the next two years, so that should he choose to leave, then the inevitable disruption can be minimised on the pitch.
I agree with this. It also needs to factor in age catching up with KDB. I imagine Txiki will be planning with the Pep stay or go scenarios in mind

The squad planning now should be done with one eye when Guardiola might leave, assuming that to be summer 2025. As such, we should be identifying young talents that he can successfully mould over the next two years, so that should he choose to leave, then the inevitable disruption can be minimised on the pitch.
I agree with this. It also needs to factor in age catching up with KDB. I imagine Txiki will be planning with the Pep stay or go scenarios in mind
Of course we will plan way ahead for that day. I’m absolutely amazed by the coverage of this however. I feel like this story has just come about because 2025 is when his contract expires and we’ve just done something incredible. Pep openly has talked about going away to Scotland with his family to discuss their future so I doubt he’s just turned around and decided he’ll leave during the heightened emotions of winning the treble. Plus some is the outlets reporting it first are not reliable at all and it’s just taken off.

Yes, no way Pep has made a decision.

If you asked him 4 years ago, doubt he would have expected to have been here for 7 years.

He’s one of us, but he will go one day (don’t ever think he will manage another PL team).

He’s put us truly on the map and I hope he signs of with at least 2 CL’s.

Of course we will plan way ahead for that day. I’m absolutely amazed by the coverage of this however. I feel like this story has just come about because 2025 is when his contract expires and we’ve just done something incredible. Pep openly has talked about going away to Scotland with his family to discuss their future so I doubt he’s just turned around and decided he’ll leave during the heightened emotions of winning the treble. Plus some is the outlets reporting it first are not reliable at all and it’s just taken off.
Irrespective of Guardiola's situation, we have always had Mahrez, de Bruyne, and Bernardo with their contracts expiring in June 2025, and if Gundogan now accepts a two-year extension, then ditto. If all three left now, we'd be on a similarly sticky wicket, which is why some of us have been arguing for more players to be brought in to forestall any disruption. Of course, we then have the problem of squad places and the Guardiola's desire to work with a small squad. It's not easy, not even for us.

Honestly, I'd have Sané back. Especially if Bernardo and Mahrez are going. He's not a replacement — obviously — but he is a winger. Really impressed me in our two ties with Bayern. Just about their best player. Leaves us a bit left-sided, maybe, but Phil can play over on the right, too.
Not getting Bellingham is a disappointment, I believe.

Honestly, I'd have Sané back. Especially if Bernardo and Mahrez are going. He's not a replacement — obviously — but he is a winger. Really impressed me in our two ties with Bayern. Just about their best player. Leaves us a bit left-sided, maybe, but Phil can play over on the right, too.
Not getting Bellingham is a disappointment, I believe.

Would love Leroy back mate!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.