What does our squad need for the coming season?

In the unlikely event both Bernardo and Gundogan stay, our squad won’t need much of a revamp. After all, we have just completed the treble…

Gvardiol, Kovacic and a winger (particularly if Mahrez is off) would mark a good summer IF Gundogan and Bernardo stay. A versatile left back wouldn’t go amiss either. It’s a pity we missed out on Guerreiro.

If we are going to persist with the 3-2-2-3 formation then we need to buy another defender who is capable of playing in midfield. Stones is the only one who can do it and whilst we were fortunate that he was available for most of last season, his injury history would suggest that we need at least one more defender who can play that role, otherwise we'd have to abandon the formation if Stones gets injured. I'm sure Rico Lewis will get more game time but I still think we need someone else in case Stones is sidelined for any significant period of time.
I would imagine Kovacic would be able to deputise in there. He lacks the height of Stones, admittedly, but he can be incredibly aggressive and has an uncanny ability to get up the park with the ball quite quickly.

I am with you in the fact any change would be known to his family and our Board way before the media (and probably the players).

However, my understanding is that the club did not know he was renewing until during this season.

A big factor in it was he felt the players were listening and working hard for him.

I think therefore the next decision will not be made until during the 24/25 season.

Spot on. He is here for the length of his contract unless he decides to stay for longer but that conversation is a season or so away.

If we are going to persist with the 3-2-2-3 formation then we need to buy another defender who is capable of playing in midfield. Stones is the only one who can do it and whilst we were fortunate that he was available for most of last season, his injury history would suggest that we need at least one more defender who can play that role, otherwise we'd have to abandon the formation if Stones gets injured. I'm sure Rico Lewis will get more game time but I still think we need someone else in case Stones is sidelined for any significant period of time.
Gvardiol?

We were very lucky Rodri stayed injury free this season. If he was out for a prolonged period at any point then I’m. It sure we’d have won all three pots. The drop off in quality when he’s not on the pitch is enormous and we instantly lose control.

I’ve a feeling Kovacic is being earmarked for that role rather than the ‘Gundogan’ role

Assuming that we lose the following during the summer

Bernado
Laporte
Mahrez

and assuming we continue to use the 3-4-3 in most of our games , what is needed to complete the squad

Ederson (Ortega)

Akanji (walker) Dias (Stones) Ake (new LCB)

Stones (Lewis) Rodri (Phillips)

KDB (Foden) Gundogan ( new #8)

Palmer (new RW) Haaland (Alvarez) Grealish ( new LW)

So for me we need

A new left centre back , which looks like being Gvardiol at this stage

A new number 8 , which is looking like Kovacic - who can also play as a six in either position

A new right wing , no one identified at this stage but we could do with someone who scores goals to offset when Grealish plays and to fill any hole left by Mahrez - this May cast doubt on Mahrez leaving as it’s going to be hard to replace what he brings

A new left wing , again no one identified as yet - someone who could play either wing would be ideal

Ive also left out Gomez as he doesn’t really have a role in this set up unless he’s slotted into the number 8 or right wing roles ?

A real speedy winger, who can beat a man ON THE OUTSIDE and can cross to the big guy …

Call me old fashioned, but i'd like a left back. I know it's a bit radical but hey, let's see, it might just add a new dimension to our team.

Maybe we need to take it easy next season

Sell whoever is willing to leave

Bring back Doyle, Mcatee and promote some EDS players

Lets just finish in the top 4 next season and have a break from pressure & high expectations :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.