What does our squad need for the coming season?

It's all dependant on departures, in theory a ridiculous summer could see Bernardo, gundo, laporte, Gomez, Phillips and Mahrez exit. All have had some form of links out.

Doubt all of them go but say 3/4 of them do it's a fairly significant rebuild. The biggest problem is if we lose bernardo and gundo. we've missed out on all the biggest CM names now, so will be interesting to see if we pull a gem out or just go with De Bruyne, Foden and Kovacic as our 8's, we only really used 3 this year. In theory Kovacic is a 6 and an 8 so he can replace phillips in the squad but also be a cover option for de bruyne/foden/gundo if he stays

If Foden becomes CM and Mahrez leaves (hard to turn down big money for 32 year old Mahrez I would imagine) then our remaining wing option is only Grealish and Palmer (assuming Bernardo left as well) so we'd have to buy 2 wingers in that scenario.

If we opt to sell Gomez, then 33 year old walker is the only full back at the club which in the new system is OK maybe, but wont have much variety.

Bernardo is key because he can cover so many positions, if he leaves we're basically down a CM and a right winger.

Could get interesting.

Yes, no way Pep has made a decision.

If you asked him 4 years ago, doubt he would have expected to have been here for 7 years.

He’s one of us, but he will go one day (don’t ever think he will manage another PL team).

He’s put us truly on the map and I hope he signs of with at least 2 CL’s.
Okay that’s fine and am sure you’re right. But there’s the decision and the media decision.The decision to stay or go must come a long time (transfer windows) and be told to Khaldoon etc before the media gets hold of it.

Left back cover

Rodri understudy

A wide player (probably for the right)

A KDB understudy - would love to sign someone like Wirtz

Not including the obvious Gvardiol to replace Laporte

Most important thing is keeping Gundogan. Kovacic and Gvardiol are 2 top signings and seen almost done. Then I'll let our scouting team surprise me, sure with all the player sales and prize money we have some more irons in the fire.

DeBruyne longterm replacement. Most players coming into squad need a year to settle in and find
their best form from squad to first on team sheet, Rodri & Grealish are recent examples. DeBruyne
assists and goal threat are not going to be easily found in one player but it's essential that chosen
player is in squad in 23/24 to enable him to find best form as Kevin transitions out of the team in
24/25.

If we are going to persist with the 3-2-2-3 formation then we need to buy another defender who is capable of playing in midfield. Stones is the only one who can do it and whilst we were fortunate that he was available for most of last season, his injury history would suggest that we need at least one more defender who can play that role, otherwise we'd have to abandon the formation if Stones gets injured. I'm sure Rico Lewis will get more game time but I still think we need someone else in case Stones is sidelined for any significant period of time.

Okay that’s fine and am sure you’re right. But there’s the decision and the media decision.The decision to stay or go must come a long time (transfer windows) and be told to Khaldoon etc before the media gets hold of it.

I am with you in the fact any change would be known to his family and our Board way before the media (and probably the players).

However, my understanding is that the club did not know he was renewing until during this season.

A big factor in it was he felt the players were listening and working hard for him.

I think therefore the next decision will not be made until during the 24/25 season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.