What does our squad need for the coming season?

Charlesfarsbar

Assuming that we lose the following during the summer

Bernado
Laporte
Mahrez

and assuming we continue to use the 3-4-3 in most of our games , what is needed to complete the squad

Ederson (Ortega)

Akanji (walker) Dias (Stones) Ake (new LCB)

Stones (Lewis) Rodri (Phillips)

KDB (Foden) Gundogan ( new #8)

Palmer (new RW) Haaland (Alvarez) Grealish ( new LW)

So for me we need

A new left centre back , which looks like being Gvardiol at this stage

A new number 8 , which is looking like Kovacic - who can also play as a six in either position

A new right wing , no one identified at this stage but we could do with someone who scores goals to offset when Grealish plays and to fill any hole left by Mahrez - this May cast doubt on Mahrez leaving as it’s going to be hard to replace what he brings

A new left wing , again no one identified as yet - someone who could play either wing would be ideal

Ive also left out Gomez as he doesn’t really have a role in this set up unless he’s slotted into the number 8 or right wing roles ?

Gvardiol, Kovacic, Diaby, Simons for Laporte, Silva, Gomez/Perrone

can lose both Perrone & Gomez if you need another 8

Ederson/Oretga/Carson
Walker/Akanji/Dias/Stones/Ake/Gvardiol/Lewis
Rodri/Phillips/Kovacic
KDB/Foden/McAtee/Szoboszlai
Grealish/Palmer/Alvarez/Olise
Haaland

In: Gvardiol, Kovacic, Szobo, McAtee, Olise
Out: Laporte, Cancelo, Gundo, Bernado, Mahrez, Gomez, Perrone (loan)

Ive used Szobo/Olise as examples. Thats 22 players and fits the bill in terms of multi position players.

Starting line up first game with KDB injured.

Ederson
Walker/Dias/Gvardiol
Stones/Rodri
Foden/Kovacic
Alvarez/Haaland/Grealish

Last edited:
At a certain point, we need bodies lol. KDB is out for awhile with no certainty he’ll be the same, a bunch of guys are having issues and won’t get to fully heal with the international break. Considering we now have the club World Cup to also deal with, we need a deeper squad in general.

Ederson/Oretga/Carson
Walker/Akanji/Dias/Stones/Ake/Gvardiol/Lewis
Rodri/Phillips/Kovacic
KDB/Foden/McAtee/Szoboszlai
Grealish/Palmer/Alvarez/Olise
Haaland

In: Gvardiol, Kovacic, Szobo, McAtee, Olise
Out: Laporte, Cancelo, Gundo, Bernado, Mahrez, Gomez, Perrone (loan)

Ive used Szobo/Olise as examples. Thats 22 players and fits the bill in terms of multi position players.

Starting line up first game with KDB injured.

Ederson
Walker/Dias/Gvardiol
Stones/Rodri
Foden/Kovacic
Alvarez/Haaland/Grealish

I'd be very worried if we started next season like this

I'd be very worried if we started next season like this
I wouldn’t. You have to let players grow into our system.

How many superstars do we buy? Were Gundo or Bernado world class players when we signed them or did they become them?

Like I said I used a winger and versatile midfielder as examples. I think we see Foden and KDB play together in the middle at some point as well as Kev winds down. We replace Gundo with Kev going deeper/Kov and hope Phillips gets better. Bernado with Szobo or another/Kovacic. Maybe we replace Phillips as well but I haven’t factored for that.

Alvarez has been great but expect even more from him next season.

I wouldn’t. You have to let players grow into our system.

How many superstars do we buy? Were Gundo or Bernado world class players when we signed them or did they become them?

Like I said I used a winger and versatile midfielder as examples. I think we see Foden and KDB play together in the middle at some point as well as Kev winds down. We replace Gundo with Kev going deeper/Kov and hope Phillips gets better. Bernado with Szobo or another/Kovacic. Maybe we replace Phillips as well but I haven’t factored for that.

Alvarez has been great but expect even more from him next season.
Gündo was a really good player back then and Bernardo also came off a very very good season with Monaco.

Gündo was a really good player back then and Bernardo also came off a very very good season with Monaco.
Of course they were but players get better at City. What I’m trying to say is we don’t need to sign players like Mbappe, Mane, Neymar, Kane, Messi, Modric etc. We take very good players and develop them to the next level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.