what "happened"?

Its the price look at games like chelsea away 40/50 quid. I know loads of lads that went away in those days, but a combination of expensive tickets and high travel costs have priced them out. Hamburg was the one where everyone that youst to go went.

I went to all those games pretty much. Now I only go to select aways. I'd say I'm fairly typical.

They were all on a Saturday even back then, in the main, so it was people's habit to go to City week in week out. Also, our fanbase was much younger back then. We have a big support amongst people of my age, who became City in the 70s, when the junior blues were big and City had a very attractive side.

We were all 30, single and fancy free back then. Now we are all over 40 with kids and responsibilities.

There's obviously the cost and TV thing too.

I was at that game too - think it was a 1-1 draw like prev poster said but I seem to remmeber some slavic midfielder scored theirs not Ricketts.

I would say that it is definitely more expensive, and you also get ridiculous away games because of Sky, such as Chelsea away on a Monday night!

That said, it can still be hard to get an away ticket if you are a member rather than a season card holder. The last few away games all seemed to sell out once the lengthy loyalty point process had worked through.

Just an extra point, it was a shame to lose Blackburn away for next season, 7000 Blues at an away game is rare nowadays!!

its all down to prices and allocation....i cant remember an away game last year that didnt sell out. just look on the ticket section on here how many people are asking for tickets

I went to quite a lot of aways in 1999/2000, it was a great season, personally speaking I was only about 16 then and it was a lot cheaper for me to do it no responsibilities. We had great support at most places that year, Forest and Barnsley stick in the memory. We had 6,000 at the latter which was a game not long after Walsall.

I seem to remember a few local(ish) games that season, Tranmere, Port Vale, Stockport, Huddersfield, Sheff Utd, Barnsley plus WBA, Brum & Wolves and of course Blackburn most of which had cheap tickets and large allocations though not all as I think the Midlands ones were night games. That year as well were chasing the Promised Land again for the first time since 1996.

Of course it's right that a lot this season did sell out but for any that took a while, it's just very dear these days compared to back then, perhaps some are more selective and tv scheduling affects it too. Even the year after 2000/1 most tickets were I think about £20-£25 although that could've been to do with my age. These days to take in most Premiership grounds you're talking £40, quite a few are in London and you can be talking £100-£150 for the day.

For the games in the south, the club often does not take the full allocation.

Not surprising really because the travel and ticket costs are astronomical for most people.

With Blackburn and Bolton being relegated, I would expect that we may not have a sub-£40 away ticket next season (league games).

yep just way too expensive taking all costs into account

good luck to those that can though

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.