What if we struggle next season?

Classic response. Go back to bed frank

Yes classic response but slightly incorrect, as was the wording of my statement, and as it's irrelevant to the wider discussion at that time, regarding expectation it was not worth responding too or getting into a debate about.

The main thrust of the discussion was about expectation and I was highlighting, in some fans eyes, they expect us to be top because of the amount we spend each summer. I was merely highlighting we sometimes over pay for players in relation to their previous performances which raises those expectations. Case in point being John Stones and the 47.5 million we spent for a player, due to age, who was rested/dropped for a period between January and March and was not guaranteed first or second choice centre half for all of last season.

Not a slight on him at all but more a discussion why expectation is so high.

Last edited:
That would be the John Stones who played 33 out of 38 league games averaging over 84 minutes per game for Everton last season. 2 missed through a knee injury and 3 'not in squad' for an unknown reason?

Or are you referring to a totally different John Stones?

Lol. That's what you call a response.

If Pep doesn't deliver we could be in a weaker position as a club ...that will make it more difficult to find a quality manager or players...If Pep does deliver we will be in a strong position as a club to replace him with a high quality manager....City need to make the next 2 or 3 years count...our financial clout now depends on Sponsors/CL qualification/League position that's tied in with how the Pep project ends up.

In the long term I don't think we will be weaker as a club if Pep fails to deliver. It will just mean the end of (a long) first phase of our project under the Sheik. They identified the Barcelona way as the path to follow and they have stuck to their guns. I give them a lot of credit for that but if it doesn't deliver Champions League success and domestic domination they will rethink. Best case scenario is for Pep to deliver and extend his stay with us. If he fails we will have no trouble attracting a top coach and top players. We're here to stay and long term success is inevitable with or without Pep.

In the long term I don't think we will be weaker as a club if Pep fails to deliver. It will just mean the end of (a long) first phase of our project under the Sheik. They identified the Barcelona way as the path to follow and they have stuck to their guns. I give them a lot of credit for that but if it doesn't deliver Champions League success and domestic domination they will rethink. Best case scenario is for Pep to deliver and extend his stay with us. If he fails we will have no trouble attracting a top coach and top players. We're here to stay and long term success is inevitable with or without Pep.

It depends how badly Pep fails...outside top 4 for more than 1 season will make it tough to keep our best players...I don't think he will fail

Watching the Real v Bayern game and it's safe to say we're a way off that level as we are. Too pedestrian and not ruthless enough. A great example of football tonight and an eye opener that we've still got a lot to do!

Our upper management don't seem the type of guys who like to sack managers. They even invested in Hughes who was here before the takeover and wasn't their choice.

Mancini left because of his style and Pellegrini saw his contract out. It would take something drastic for us to sack such as a Leicester style collapse which I cannot see happening.

Not true -he had signed an extension and was fired after the first year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.