What Makes You Proud To Be British?

You contradicted it in the second which was the subject if my reply. You can't separate a culture from its country so if you are proud of it then you are proud of the country you happen to come from in that regard. There may well be other aspects you are not proud about of course.
Perhaps pride is the wrong word. Admiration may be a better term. I admire the output of the likes of Dickens, Shakespeare, The Stones, The Beatles, Blur et al; I admire and cherish the likes of Only Fools and Fawlty Towers; I love our beautiful countryside; I love that you could look at an old, industrial-age photograph and definitively say "that is Britain".

My biggest issue is the default, unavoidable association of Nationalism with chest-thumping over a flag. And I loathe nationalism. You have zero control over where you're born, and I'm not going to assume a superiority complex because I happened to be born on the British Isles. If I ever have children, I will take immense pride in raising them correctly and seeing them live a rich, happy life. That's the kind of thing people can take pride in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.