What things do you remember from Maine Road?

That tunnel in the middle of the kippax that you could walk through. You'd be walking in the halflight of the tunnel and you could see the pitch stretched out in front of you. Those were the days!

BrianW said:
By modern standards it was a shithole, but it was our shithole and I felt comfortable and 'at home' there in a way I doubt I ever shall at COMS.

There were some great pubs round about, spent many a happy hour in there. Who can forget the alleys lined with dog-shit? The glow of the floodlights for a night match as you approached? The crazy guy telling us all to repent as the end was nigh? Helen with her bell. The beautiful green of the grass when you mounted the steps and saw the pitch for the first time? The 'characters' around you, all of whom seemed to be there to watch football, not to discuss business with their 'clients' or have a 'match-day experience'.

I loved it, and to be honest I don't think I appreciated it until it was gone.
Mostly this. Missed the old Kippax, always stood in the same place surrounded by the same people. My first night match, going up the Kippax steps and seeing the pitch lit up, unbelievable. Queing up on a sunday morning with my token sheet for all ticket matches. Seeing that car with the plate KIPPAX ? on it parked at the front of the Main Stand. Yes and the 'End is nigh man' I bet he was a really nice person. When I went on my motorbike and parked it in somebodies back yard. Of course Norman f ing Wisdom hahaha. All this comes second to the City players I have watched and admired in my Maine Road days.

davymcfc said:
Chesterfield blue said:
When the new Kippax was built the fake pigeon hanging from the corner next to the North Stand......
Haha yes
It wasnt a fake pigeon it was harry the hawk put there to scare pigeons away and stop them shitting all over the seats, didnt work though

It seemed that every saturday was a cold dark misty Saturday evening then it would suddenly be may then for The last couple of days it would be really hot.
Onions from the burger vans.
Soggy hamburgers from the guys who sold them in the car park..
Going to the derby and taking 2 rags, getting beat then letting the twats run after the car as they where being chased by a load of blues.
Listening to see if anyone won the half time draw.
The Saab being driven round the pitch.(I have had saabs in the past,I still want one to this day)
The chippy.
signing tony Cunningham from blackpool( I think) dark days indeed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.