What things do you remember from Maine Road?

noely said:
black mamba said:
Fuzzmaster101 said:
Nicks sports shoes. LOL.

What year was this btw?

Not really sure ...... i've a feeling that it might be the 1985 Charlton promotion game.

r

2zg6phw.gif

one of the advertising boards has carling premiership on it so it wont be 85
also you can make out a kid in a purple and white away kit from 92/93 season
so maybe its from the last day of the kippax?

It is definately the last day of the Kippax me my 2 sons and 2 of their friends are at the front just below the end of the flag toward the corne

Ed68 said:
Wooden benches in the Platt Lane with painted lines showing 'your seat'.
I remember them too - but the thing that always takes me instantly back to the early 70's is the smell of cigar/cigarette smoke - anywhere, anytime, if I smell it, it instantly reminds me of Maine Road back then.

urmston said:
I remember the super modern, space age electronic scoreboard that they put in the new North Stand in 1972.

More and more of the little lights used to stay on all the time and make messages hard to read.

Eventually they gave up on it but I think it stayed in place until the stadium closed in 2003.

Yeah we then had to put up with a Greenhall's one on the Kippax/Platt Lane corner.

Happy happy days but times and things must move on. I spent years and years going firstly with my dad RIP in 1970, my girlfriends one of whom became became Mrs Moon and my lad who now thinks of The Ethiad as our 'Main' ground.

The old place will always have a big place in my heart. I've stood and sat almost everywhere at Maine Road but my fav spot was against the fence between the North Stand and windy corner as being a short arse the rake was better on the terracing and over the fence was a clear view of the pitch with the added bonus of the roof of the North stand on the endless rainy games.

When I was about from about 2-7 I had no idea what was really going on so me and my dad used to devise ingenious ways to keep me entertained. They are as follows:

my dad used to buy me Lego to play with

My dad used to give me a meat and potato pie and a knife to eat it with. I also wasn't allowed to pick it up. Kept me busy for a good 30 minutes

Used to bring my cap-gun and cowboy hat, stand up on my chair and shoot people.

People keep mentioning the various incarnations of the scoreboard. Remember when we got the new one in the corner where the away fans used to be? It used to display 2 hands clapping with "C'MON CITY" flashing across it.

I think that's what is commonly known in the trade as "bleeding edge technology".

Loved the place!

Use to go in city Social before and after match,left till last minute to get in Kippax,the City social after mid week matches used to be good as well.Stinking tiolets and them flipping steps upto the Kippax,they were murder at full time,how nobody got injured was beyond me.

LINNAMENT smell as I walked past the main stand as 5 year old. The old scoreboard, colin bell comeback, stevie lomas in the corner flag.

Panther do one !

The stairs at the back of the old platt lane
The wall half way up the kippax I used to sit on as a kid
Everyone banging on the corrugated iron at the back of the kippax at the end of a game
The cage away fans were in and a small strip of seats they were in between the main stand and platt lane
The Beehive
The Denmark
The match bus from Aytoun Street
City Chippy
The tiny souvenir shop before they rebuilt it

Climbing the steel stansions in the 70's to get a better view with my silk scarf tied around my wrist and my jean jacket with Books Bionic Blues etc written in black ink on it, then the trip back to Sale on the orange buses.

Then in the 80's watching Lakey lying on the ground after swallowing his tongue with my future Mrs who as a nurse recognised he was in danger and I thought she was going to jump on the pitch whilst I screaming with the rest of the crowd for a doctor who if I remember rightly was sat up in the nice seats in the Main Stand but thankfuly the physios were close by to sort him out.

Then the 90's my sons first match against Oldham and then all the other games making him promise not to repeat any of the bad language he had heard to his mum or at primary school.

The good old days!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.