What things do you remember from Maine Road?

Was funny when the Goat scored against Coventry and all there fans got hard and charged the family stand and loads in the Kippax ran across the pitch while the match was on haha i also remember it went off against Birmingham when Morrison scored and i walked round the away stand from the uncovered section and a bottle smashed next to me and a copper on a horse told me to f off

Seeing the floodlights from the car. Parking up with my Dad. The walk past Platt Lane Training Complex, turning the corner and seeing the ground before me.

Then the long queues in the Juniors whilst my Dad was in the Adults then seeing him waiting for me on the other side then up the steps and the best sight, the green pitch and the huge crowd - for a kid.

Occasionally we'd leave early and I'd be listening hoping for a goal. I think it happened once when we played Norwich in the FA Cup. We left at 5-0 and a 6th went in late on.

Chips and gravy, bus from town, half time scores, colin brookes, colin morris, donachie to oakes, mike doyle, Harry Godwin, Lee's goal for derby, pat jennings, bear, woodbines, Buzzer, barnes. kippax. Souvenir shop. Scouse bastard fans. Tony , tony coleman ooh, ooh!...... Rambling

The Maine Stand roof, looked amazing but the huge pillars holding it up didn't half mess with the site lines in the corner of the North Stand.

The old social club remember spending Sunday mornings down there once a month for the Junior Blues meetings. Last time I drove past it's the only part of the ground that is still standing.

The gene Kelly stand, I remember my seat collapsing when Anelka scored against Fulham one Janauary evening and had to spend the rest of the match stood at the back.

The 5-1 first time I ever stood on the Kippax, absolute bedlam that day. I remember Danny Wallace giving the Kippax daggers at kick off. Soon wiped the smug look off his face after the first half blitz.

Bert Trautmann getting sent off for kicking the ball up the ref's arse from about a yard. Yer don't see that sort of thing anymore!

Blackpool running out of the tunnel with tangerine shirts!

The fog descending when we were 3-1 up against Wolves with ten mins to go, followed by three kick offs for the home team!

Getting regularly pissed wet through on the outside when standing on the North Stand and regularly getting pissed wet through on the inside, no matter where yer stood, with the quality of, or lack of, football on offer.

A Tottenham game where some Spurs fan came with a real live cockerel that he let onto the pitch. No one seemed to bother. Completely different era. Seems like something from a different world.

Bert Trautmann's testimonial.

Alex Harley's penalties. Every bit as good as Mario's.

Four buses, into the ground, and a programme and change from two shillings!

The list would be endless, so I'll stop there.

Waking up on match day and looking at my posters and pennants of city plastered all over my bedroom.

Dad and I making are way to my Nans on Lloyd St and meeting up with uncles and cousins off to Maine Rd.

Dad racing ahead to by pastels and Everton mints for the game.
Going down Thornton st and seeing the ground what a thrill for a nipper.

Joining the huge queue for kids whilst my dad sailed through. Listening to the religious man in the bowler hat telling us were were all sinners.

Climbing the steps to the top of the Platt lane and smelling the cigarette smoke. Looking at the crowd and the pitch (sometimes it had grass on it in the early part of the season)

The trill of the game and the joy of seeing city score.

Waiting at half time to see the scores of the other games being put up on the scoreboard. City reserves score got the biggest cheer if they were winning away.

The noise of the crowd, rattles and all I loved it all. Happy days indeed

friendly chit chat with the away fans on the kippax (eg the dart incident)
singing "rangers!, celtic!" as I didn't realise you were supposed to choose one.
buying away programmes in the shop in '81 to attach the covers to cup final ticket application
"you'll never walk alone" used to be sung by all teams' fans, scarves aloft and everyfink.
walking to the ground with a silk scarf tied round each wrist, blue white and maroon scarf round my neck (that the eldest This! still wears to the match now) and a bush hat covered in badges...
that light bulb in the kippax just above where we stood that used to flicker and go out to great roars
trying to find the right voucher number in your season ticket book
perching on the barriers so you had a chance to glimpse something of the game
helen, helen, ring your bell!
the surge towards the front when we scored
Piccadilly 261 logo
floodlights - whether first glimpse on the way to the ground or staring up at them from inside
the pink final van
swales out!/sack the board!
AC milan
pulling my mate's jumper up as he was wearing a scum shirt after they scored in the derby
queuing up all the way round the ground to get '99 wembley tickets
cantona coming on as a sub (I think?) in the derby when we were winning...
colin bell's comeback game
why was the queue in the kippax car park soooo much more exciting than the queue for the family stand?
my brother's mate losing a contact lens after we scored - and me finding it on the floor
dog shit alley - particularly at night...
in the same vein, horses used to have proper shits in the olden days
cheering (either villa or west ham) when they scored at my first match - as their kit matched the maroon bench I was sitting on in the platt lane
wearing a rosette
the lights in the kippax swinging in the wind
the excitement if the bbc vans were outside the main stand - we were going to be on match of the day!
the anticipation of walking up the steps outside the kippax next to the away - particularly on a night match - and coming back out again either taking the piss or looking glumly at the floor
gene kelly
that home game in the rola-cola cup (was it stoke or something?) where there were only about ten people there
taking my mum and dad to their first game when they were old biddies - newcastle at home, main stand. We won. Mum fell on the steps as we were leaving and cracked her head open on the end of the handrail, blood everywhere.

and sooooo many more...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.