What things do you remember from Maine Road?

I took a handheld sound recorder to the Kippax last stand. Recorded a staggering version of Blue Moon. I'll try and record it somehow and post it. There's about 40 minutes of sound pre-game, songs for Franny, etc. Weirdly great.

How I get the sound off a mini tape cassette into a digital format...I dunno.
Get it on to a CD then an MP3 converter.......does the mini tape have an EXT out socket.

If you live near Blackley I could do it and would love to

As a kid I remember the surrounding Coronation St type terraces, the labyrinth of back to back alleyways that surrounded the ground, drab grey and intimidating. Where opposition fans would be ambushed, spotted by young black(mind your car Mr) lads on Grifter bikes. The smell of cheap hot dogs and second hand Watneys bitter beer breath wafting through the air. Those tall imposing flood lights whilst queueing around the kippax to then pay on the gate through the cast iron turnstiles. The long steps up to the Kippax feeling so excited, despite knowing we would probably get thrashed yet again. The smell of Cigarettes wafting through the air to "You'll never take the Kippax" and "you're going home in a fuckin' ambulance".

I loved Maine road and I still miss the place. I wouldn't drive past Princess park way for several years, and when I did to glimpse across to where she used to be, I shed a tear. Alas, I loved you so much.

The super modern electronic scoreboard that was installed in the North Stand when it opened.

It worked OK at first, but over the years became more and more faulty with lights either not working or staying on all the time.

Around bonfire night time someone would always let off a supersonic bang and if it was timed/aimed correctly it would hit the roof of the kippax just as it went off. First time I heard one I shit myself

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.