What things do you remember from Maine Road?

remember ian wright on my first game early nighties...
my mum and dad divorcing and me getting my first season ticket as a bribe...
'mind yer car mister?' convinced they sat their all day to protect your car
me and my older bro standing bottom corner of kippax every week to get on tv (my hand made it once)
shouting at steffan karl, uwe abusing a fan who abused him for a game he didn't play in, hanging outside main entrance 'swales out' with my dad, not a clue what everyone was angry about..
the shops they built inside the new kippax, that bird hanging from top corner of kippax,
queuing 8 hours for wigan away, 12 for Wembley..
match day season ticket stubs (always seemed number 1 for first game but never followed on) , going to ground with stubs for away tickets
running on pitch after brum on firday night 99 and wigan second leg scoring against an invisible goalie with an invisible ball...
watching a derby game at the swamp on a screen, Quinn scored, milwall on a screen
walking to the goat/rat boy derby with my dad, step dad, uncle and big brother having lost my virginity the night before, thinking I was dogs bollocks and I bet on 3-1 anelka score first.
the damp squib of the final day.
I really, really miss the place at Etihad will never ever come close. A pleasure to of been there

"Oi Creaney, you couldn't finish yer dinner!"

or

"My Gran could do better than that, and she's got no legs!"

Plus my first match there, a 5-0 thrashing of Leicester City in the FA cup in 1996 I believe. I may be wrong.

You should know kinkladze was at his mesmeric best. Two great goals and assists for the rest. Creaney strike and a 20 yarder from Lomas

Paying £45 for a season ticket book!
Running across Piccadilly from getting off the 216 to get on the 76 on Minshull Street (I think) with my silk wrist scarf billowing behind me.
The smell of hamburgers from the "greasy Joe" push cart stalls in the queue to get in.
Seeing which match number it was on Kippax Stand outer wall to locate in my season ticket book.
Not missing the voucher sheet in the 1st home game programme to stick your vouchers in.
The smell of linament sat on Kipax Wall when the players came out.
The smell of piss as I stood ankle deep in it in the bogs at the back of the Kippax.
Fireworks, Darts and other missiles being lobbed in and out of the away pen in the Kippax.
Windy Corner
Idiot United fans in the Kippax wearing colours on derby day and wondering why they got twatted.
People not bothering to go to the toilet for a piss
The general feeling of being as one with your own brethren whilst swaying and singing songs we all knew every word to.
The crush at the top of the Kippax steps after full time.
The Pink sellers outside the ground straight after the match.
The smell of dogshit as I sometimes ran behind Platt Lane from the Kippax Car Park and out along Maine Road to Claremont road to catch the 76 back to town.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
Said Bertie Mee to Joe Harvey
have ya heared of the North Bank , Highbury?
No said Joe , i don't think so
but i've heard of the Kippax , Maine Road!

xbekud.jpg
2zg6phw.gif

First memory of the flag was circa 1992/93 for the derby either 1-1 or 0-0.

Remember getting on the kippax two hourse before kick off blowing up ballons to release as the players walked out against Spurs in the quarter final of the cup 1993. Sadly it was the same time as the flag got unfurled, ballons fell under the flag, cue lots of popping and my hard work going unrewarded.

Having car pinched on a cold wet night. 1-0 defeat by Leicester city mark Robbins scored I think

My late Dad.

Helen's Bell.

That bloody big "Truman's For Steel" sign, attached to the kippax roof.

Hearing Vince Miller playing, (what I suspect were the only 3 pop records the club possessed), No Matter What, by Badfinger, Alright Now, and Wishing Well, by Free), repeatedly, throughout the whole of the pre match & half time intervals.

Last edited:
Some nostalgic memories in here. Seems like Maine road was only yesterday when I reminisce on those memories : )

I remember as a kid in the 70's crying (12ish) when Liverpool scored the 4th goal. My dad whispered, "Don't worry son, it won't always be this bad".

Wise words dad.

Last edited:
The smell of hamburgers from the "greasy Joe" push cart stalls in the queue to get in.
The smell of piss as I stood ankle deep in it in the bogs at the back of the Kippax.
Fireworks, Darts and other missiles being lobbed in and out of the away pen in the Kippax.
Windy Corner

Idiot United fans in the Kippax wearing colours on derby day and wondering why they got twatted.
People not bothering to go to the toilet for a piss
The general feeling of being as one with your own brethren whilst swaying and singing songs we all knew every word to.
The crush at the top of the Kippax steps after full time.
The Pink sellers outside the ground straight after the match.
The smell of dogshit as I sometimes ran behind Platt Lane from the Kippax Car Park and out along Maine Road to Claremont road

Yup, remember all that but don't miss any the highlighted stuff which is why I prefer the Etihad now with great seating and pitch view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.