What things do you remember from Maine Road?

The smells and the humour/banter. The Pink sellers, sneaking in for the last 15 mins ( esp watching us beat Oxford 2-1 in the final minutes back in '88), the old Kippax, Swales' customary pre-season "we have money to spend but have to cut our cloth... blah blah blah..!", and while not a specifically a 'Maine Rd' memory, the feeling every August of hope above expectation for the new season... which would usually come crashing back to earth by the end of the first away game against the might of a Blackburn, Boro or Birmingham City! Happy days eah!? Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

- My first home game (growing up in Bedfordshire, my first game was away at Luton) - 1-0 against Tottenham, David White scored (1990, I think)
- Telling Keith Curle he was my favourite player (he wasn't, but he was the only one I managed to catch that day and I wanted to say it to someone)
- The smell - a mixture of burgers, horse turd and fags
- Having to walk around the ground looking down to avoid the horse turd
- Newspaper sellers yelling "pink extra"
- Pitch invasion in play-off semi versus Wigan and getting my photo in the MEN the next day
- When my dad's company sponsored the match ball in game against Palace (1-0, Horlock) - bricking myself when walking onto the pitch at kick-off, having to sit in posh seats and wishing we were in normal ones, speaking to Liam Gallagher in the gents, and having the displeasure of meeting Stuart Pearce (chronic tosspot, that man). Alex Williams, Mike Summerbee and Kevin Keegan were absolute diamonds, though.
- Losing 1-0 at home to Blackburn, Shearer scored a beauty. Was sat in Kippax. A guy in front of me said something like "bloody good goal, that," and an idiot in front of him took exception to this and tried to fight him. First and only time I've seen a fight among our own fans.
- The mosaic above one of the main entrances

Season ticket kippax £5 , the rope for segregation in the kippax , standing in the north stand for one season , saw a police horse crap on scum fans shoulder once , silk scarves .

The smells and the humour/banter. The Pink sellers, sneaking in for the last 15 mins ( esp watching us beat Oxford 2-1 in the final minutes back in '88), the old Kippax, Swales' customary pre-season "we have money to spend but have to cut our cloth... blah blah blah..!", and while not a specifically a 'Maine Rd' memory, the feeling every August of hope above expectation for the new season... which would usually come crashing back to earth by the end of the first away game against the might of a Blackburn, Boro or Birmingham City! Happy days eah!? Nostalgia is not what it used to be!
I remember those Oxford fans penned in at the side of us singing "you're 'suppewsed' to be at 'hewme" in their collective posh accents. They looked like the audience on University Challenge.
Posh twats; )

Someone might have said this but having to take your season book and finding what number it was to get in and tearing it out.Also frankenstein and godzilla inflatables.

Last edited:

It was a valuable lesson for me the Oxford game. Never leave early as you miss may Redmond scoring a last minute winner. When I started branching out from the family I never made that mistake again

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.