What things do you remember from Maine Road?

I played footy at The Platt Lane Complex the other night, I live in town and we drove back through Moss Side on the way back.

It was a strange experience as I'd not been into the estate since 2003 and I was only 12 when we left.

I did get butterflies driving through, the place hasn't changed much apart from where the stadium was, from what I can remember anyway.

Certainly brought back a few memories from my childhood.

Ct8x3F5XYAIVfB-.jpg:large

On the corner of Wolmslow Road and Dickinson road there was what looked like a scrap yard...the walls were too high to see over.

There were a couple of Alsatians (I think) that must have had a trampoline as they could jump higher than the 10 ft (ish) wall, get a good look and a couple of barks before dropping and coming back up.

Ok, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a trampoline but would love to know how they jumped so high...I'm ignoring the fact they could have climbed up something and desperate to believe they jumped from virtually ground level as it made me laugh every other week.

First game was V Blackpool 1961.

Getting the 53 bus from Belle Vue every week, even to watch the reserves.

Waiting an hour before the match for Derek Kevan's autograph.......lol!

Johnny Crossan and Frannie Lee's debuts

Big George Heslop's tackles

Bert's testimonial night match.

8015 v Swindon 1965...(Buzzer played for Swindon)

The fight in the middle of the pitch between our and Liverpool's mascots before the game.

Hot Bovril at half time.

Big Mal coming out of the tunnel with his cigar and Fedora.

The Derek Kevan/Jimmy Murray dream ticket partnership

The ballet on ice.

The pale blue AC Invalid cars parked up near the corners at the Platt Lane stand.

The smell of cigarette smoke and piss.

The chants:-

"Joe Mercer, Joe Mercer...Is it true we're gonna win........the football league?"

Always found amusing the gentleman with a large notice board with some religious message of doom , used to be outside the kippax.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.