What things do you remember from Maine Road?

Walking with my uncle ,and when he wasn't working my dad , through Alec park & through all those back cobbled streets then suddenly there it was ! Both Dad and uncle gone now to the Kippax in the sky. The last match at Maine Road I sobbed leaving then went with someone from Costa Brava Blues to el Rincon de Rafa in town met the goat and Gary Owen. Great times over many years. Even if the football was shit at times, scintillating at others.

Wagon Wheels
Bovril
The Gardeners Before the Game
Crappy Souvenir Shop
Social Club
Great Days

It was the Coventry game and I was sat in the Platt Lane with my Dad and brother. We were all asked to look under our seats for a suspicious package that looked like a bomb (I'm sure they said that - we certainly all knew it was a bomb scare). Mike Summerbee picked up the match ball and shook it which caused a lot of laughter.

The noise of the generator was pretty loud - I'm sure BTSport would have made a comment about the generator being noisier than the crowd if they'd been around then!
I remember being there although everyone thinks I am mad when I mention it. Glad it has been verified

The grumpy old git running the souvenir shop (was it somebody Philipps) the gorgeous young blonde who also worked there (mid to late 80's cant remember her name), Pink Final, Jesus has sinned or whatever those signs said, entering a rammed Kippax an hour before the game, coming home richer than when I went due to the various coins flung, sitting down on the Kippax when bored, singing the names of virtually all the players just before the game and booing them if they didn't wave, trying to catch the bus home and finding a seat and then as I started to drive hoping that the car was being 'minded', trying to work out the attendance and then laughing along with everyone else when it was announced, Mr Banks has left the building, fanzines, the list is endless

Bovril
lack of toilets
Not being able to get a beer(Somethings never change)
Balti Pies
Giving abuse to the away fans caged in the the corner
The whole of the kippax giving abuse to away team players who were usually better than ours.
As a kid being passed over peoples heads to sit at the front.
The wave of people in the stand when we scored
The witty jibes from the fans when we were a rely poor team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.