What things do you remember from Maine Road?

Just been on streetview to have a look at what's there now and Immediately presented with an old bloke in a rag shirt walking down Blue Moon Way... How the fuck can that be allowed to happen ?!

The bomb scare in 1974 - cant remember who it was against, but I think it was during the power cuts. Also, I think it was a game on a weekday afternoon, and I was sciving off school. Hopefully someone can confirm. Cheers!
It was the Coventry game and I was sat in the Platt Lane with my Dad and brother. We were all asked to look under our seats for a suspicious package that looked like a bomb (I'm sure they said that - we certainly all knew it was a bomb scare). Mike Summerbee picked up the match ball and shook it which caused a lot of laughter.

The noise of the generator was pretty loud - I'm sure BTSport would have made a comment about the generator being noisier than the crowd if they'd been around then!

Before floodlights, games kicking off at 2.15 in December, then by the end of Jan back to 3pm
The wall at the back of the Kippax with suspicious dark stains where lazy sods couldn't be bothered to use the Gents (which were horrible anyway)
The smell of ciggy and pipe smoke (and cigars at Xmas)
Queueing up to pay CASH at the turnstiles &(if you were a bit late) hearing crowd roars while the queue moved agonisingly slowly
The square scoreboard that put the half-time scores up
The Beswick Prize Band playing stirring march tunes whilst marching round
Getting soaked before the Kippax was covered (and my mother telling me off when I got home: "You'll catch your death!")
Seeing the players arrive before the game
Foggy days when you could hardly see the players or know what the score was
The occasional mud-heap of a pitch (how lucky we are now)
The sheer magic of the place. Heaven, I thought......

Feels like a good thread to put that song on " 80 years of football at Maine Road " it's the bloke with hat on in his bedroom on a guitar, it's on YouTube but I'm afraid I don't know how to post it
I'm sure those who haven't seen it will appreciate it
Brings a tear to the eye

1985/86 season, fa cup 2nd reply v Watford, first player I remember seeing wearing gloves, he got slaughtered for it.. Mr John Barnes. Mark Lillis missing a pen either in first game which was 1-1 or 2nd reply which was 1-3 if I remember rightly

1985/86 season, fa cup 2nd reply v Watford, first player I remember seeing wearing gloves, he got slaughtered for it.. Mr John Barnes. Mark Lillis missing a pen either in first game which was 1-1 or 2nd reply which was 1-3 if I remember rightly

Remember Barnes getting slaughtered another time when he was a Liverpool player cos it came out in the days leading up to the match that he'd signed a contract that made him the first player to get paid > £10k a week

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.