What things do you remember from Maine Road?

manimanc said:
about 10 of us from our estate(i`ll call it hillock to protect the innocent) got the train into victoria or the 93 or 137 to the arndale,then walk down oxford road to the ground,go to the kippax and up the white tunnel and get our place,watch the platt lane end fill up with away fans,read my programme etc....does anybody remember the "we`re gonna score in a minute" song? or the "lets all have a disco" song? david white pegging it down the right wing attacking the north stand,beating oxford united in in 88/89 season with stevie redmond and tricky morely scoring in the last few minutes to give us a 2-1 win,my feet not touching the floor going down the stairs coming out the kippax many times because of the crush and sheer amount of fans,buying a pink to get the scores,the walk back into town giving V signs to the away coaches.

I used to live on Hillock ....... 1980-1993.

There used to be a 136 matchbus to the ground in those days.

de niro said:
the most important thing is you got in, you queued for ages but you got in.
non of this loyalty point thing, first come first served.

And if you turned up at half time you got in for nowt.

My first game in 1962 - just couldn't believe the atmosphere - I loved it - that was the day I became a life-long blue.

The 'Turkey Shoot' at the back of the Kippax when it was all standing and United fans who'd bought tickets for our end trying to get into their segregated area and running the gauntlet. Top quality entertainment.

Geting the 53 bus back to Collyhurst. Watching all the blues get off in Gorton.
And thinking "God i wished i lived here"

My first game sat in the old Platt Lane on those benches.We beat Spurs 5-0 and i can't remember many better performances since in 33 years

After that i remember my first full season 84/85 travelling down with my mates from Cumbria and loving it on the kippax.Best day ever was the Charlton 5-1.After that it was many years of bringing family and friends to Maine Road and making quite a few friends along the way.Was broken hearted when we chucked the derby away in 93 after a 2-0 lead at half time,being devastated with the Spurs 4-2 cup defeat and the pitch invasion,even more devastated with the 2-2 draw against Liverpool that sent us down.Possibly one of the best days i remember was the 3-1 derby win and that first season under Keegan.I loved everything about the place though,the pubs round the ground like the beehive and parkside,the little scroates that used to ask you for money to watch your car.getting pissed on in windy corner and the banter with the away fans.

Many happy and sad memories from a life time of following City.

The house on the corner of the road that was a souvenir shop, had the best badges. Also remember sitting at the back of the Main Stand as a kid and the place feeling massive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.