What was the most toxic period at City?

Lee and Ball era. The damage done to an already difficult situation got us relegated and made us one of the weakest 2nd Division teams.

The football in the Pearce era was mind numbingly dull and without joy but at least the boardroom was stable if penniless.

Swales did the most damage with Mal taking a top but fading team that needed careful evolution to one that eventually got relegated. He compounded it later in the 90s.

I remember a game where someone ran on the pitch and tried ripping the shirt off Nigel Clough … along the lines of you’re not fit to wear the shirt.

Those were some dark days

Clough was absolutely awful for us. The guy ripping his season ticket up against Bury was another "Highlight." Somebody needs to make a compilation of all our dark times. "Where were you when you was shit?" The Johnny come lately new away fans sing. They haven't got a fucking clue.

It has to be the Pearce era, there was just no hope whatsoever and I was convinced we were going to be relegated.

Also, and maybe this just because it's topical today, but the end of Thaksin's reign when he sacked Sven. We loved the manager and at several points it looks like it could've got very very nasty between the fans and the club.

I was only a little kid in the 90s so while I remember going to Maine Road I was too young to really appreciate the bigger picture and finances/politics of what was going on with the club.

The 95 season all the way to the 2002/03 season. Not only at our lowest but watching that lot win everything and take the piss out of us was seriously depressing. Getting beat off shite like Bury and Stockport

Had a good end in the Play off final under Joe, and the next season in div one, but as per we had another horrendous season in the PL before Sir Kev Keegan saved us. (Literally thought that season would be the best we'd ever get)

The Pearce era was a blip, no longer was i bothered about missing city games and would often just go in the pubs next to the ground rather than go in. that lasted for a while tbh including under Hughes.

As much as the last few years have been great, the constant cheat allegations stemming from the charges UEFA and PL sent to us has been very draining. So i want to add that one in to!

I think the Blackburn quarter final in 2007 probably marked the high/low point for toxicity, not least because things started turning round the season after.

This is the one that I immediately thought of. I'll never forget 2 blokes in front of us properly scrapping because one had shouted 'psycho out' and the other objected to that. Not the actual sentiment, he objected to the guy calling him psycho. Said that that was a positive nickname for him and he didn't deserve to be called that. They started arguing and eventually swinging punches. Not a great time that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.