What would you consider to be the greatest city in the world?

Can’t agree with Marseille. Of the dozens of city breaks I’ve been on it’s by far the biggest shithole.
Not a favourite but I like Marseille, then I like cities with an edge, Naples is another and I liked New York before it was cleaned up back in the late eighties, though the modern New York is a better place for visiting with my family.

That’s either a good laugh or you have serious issues and need to get out more! ;-)
Went to New Orleans when i was 21 (30 odd years ago) and loved it.

Did Tijuana about 20 years ago and was amazed at the lawless edginess of the place. Where else can you buy an ounce of weed, ride a horse down the main street and sell your wife within ten minutes of getting off the bus?

@mcfcphil Spent many months in Marseille and loved the 'cosmopolitan' mix of people from all over the place. Fantastic food, wether, women and hash.

And his 2nd choice!

Hence, I think (hope) it was a joke!
you and @Bill Walker .

As you alluded to Bill, this is a list of MY favourite cities and not the 'best in the world' as the thread title asks.
I've been to a lot of the so called best cities and found a lot of them to be souless, miserable places with nice things to look at. I like life and people, backstreets, hidden places where you can get a feel for the soul of a place.
Venice, which seems to be popular on the thread is my idea of hell. I've got a perfectly good canal on my doorstep and it's not full of god-bothering, camera waving tourists who can't see past the end of their selfie sticks.

Did Tijuana about 20 years ago and was amazed at the lawless edginess of the place. Where else can you buy an ounce of weed, ride a horse down the main street and sell your wife within ten minutes of getting off the bus?
...and then get murdered.
Think I'll stick to nice boring safe cities like seville if we are ever allowed to leave these shores again. Kudos to you though for appreciating the edgier side of life. I must admit I have always fancied New Orleans which comes across as a bit of a party town. I found Boston, Vancouver and Toronto pleasant but a bit bland but loved NYC.
I liked Marseille I have to say. In fact I love much of the south of France.

you and @Bill Walker .

As you alluded to Bill, this is a list of MY favourite cities and not the 'best in the world' as the thread title asks.
I've been to a lot of the so called best cities and found a lot of them to be souless, miserable places with nice things to look at. I like life and people, backstreets, hidden places where you can get a feel for the soul of a place.
Venice, which seems to be popular on the thread is my idea of hell. I've got a perfectly good canal on my doorstep and it's not full of god-bothering, camera waving tourists who can't see past the end of their selfie sticks.
No worries mate I get where you're coming from.

How am I supposed to make that call if I've only been to a tiny fraction of the worlds cities?

I'm not even sure I've been to all 51 cities in the England.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.