What's Happened To Our Defence?

Too many individual errors. The passing this season has been poor, particularly at the back, often giving up possession in dangerous areas through poor choices and poor passes when under no real pressure. Most of the goals/chances we concede are of our own making gifting easy possession rather than the opposition doing any good.

We were playing like this first part of the season the last time Lillo turned up
Correlation doesn’t necessarily equal causation but it’s fact
For me the shoehorning of Haaland and Alvarez together has failed against the best opposition, ok against the bottom feeders at home but hollows our our midfield and surrenders control against better teams who can exploit it

We defend as a team and attack as a team , at this moment in time we are wide open from top to bottom , the energy and desire to run has vanished .

No control in midfield has lead to our defence being put under the sort of pressure they just can not cope with.

But all three Spurs goals were nothing to do with that as it happened.
  • 1st - No Walker on the half way line to stop any fast break after our corner (did get back eventually).
  • 2nd - Shocking pass from Foden that put Spurs on the attack, Ederson positioning not good.
  • 3rd - Wishy washy defending against Spurs tallest player and Ederson transfixed.

No control in midfield has lead to our defence being put under the sort of pressure they just can not cope with.

• 1st - No Walker on the half way line to stop any fast break after our corner (did get back eventually).
  • 2nd - Shocking pass from Foden that put Spurs on the attack, Ederson positioning not good.
  • 3rd - Wishy washy defending against Spurs tallest player and Ederson transfixed.

I'd say you mentioned Ederson on the two he could have done least about.

You're right about the other points and our problems are much more than Ed, but he's got to be saving the first goal.

This is why I’m unclear why this forum thinks Gvardiol was the worst player on the pitch last night and in the team in general (that’s playing regularly). I’m not saying he had a great game, but he didnt seem complicit in any of the goals or worse than anyone else. And realistically, I think the Sterling goal at Chelsea was the only one that he was really responsible. Which puts him on par with most of our defenders this year in terms of individual errors leading to a goal. Sure, maybe we didn’t need him this year. But other than Ruben our defense is on the older side. Doesn’t some long term planning make sense?

We have lost fern, gundogan and mahrez and we have replaced them with Phillips, nunes and kovacic. Think that says it all tbh.

Whilst mahrez didn’t run around like Kante you defend as a team and mahrez ball retention was a key part of the control we enjoyed in games, we now play foden rw and as much as I love watching him he isn’t as safe with the ball as mahrez which leaves us more exposed to counters etc.

As well as that we have recruited very poorly in central midfield and are now having to play alavrez (which again gives us no control) as well as over playing Bernardo and rodri.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.