What's the best football book of all time?

Interesting. Didn't know that. Has he written anything worthwhile on cricket? Genuinely good cricket writers are rare, I find. C.L.R. James wrote one of the best books ever written on cricket, and a lot of other things in passing: Beyond A Boundary.
More to it than cricket but Neville Cardus's autobiography has some lovely writing about his time as assistant cricket coach at Shrewsbury School and reporting for the Manchester Guardian on Roses matches at O.T. and England tours of Australia.

(Born in Rusholme but sadly didn't turn his talents much to writing about City.)

I quite enjoyed it, knowing that it was a novel and giving it that licence. I think Martin Sheen's portrayal of Clough redresses the balance, and the film needs to be seen. He gets just the right mixture of arrogance and vulnerability in the man.

That author, though! I can get through some fairly arduous, reader-unfriendly stuff if I'm determined to (i.e. if I'm getting something out of the book). But I've picked up that book Red or Dead two or three times in bookshops, and I cannot even finish one page of it. It's like having your teeth drilled — all of them, at the same time. It is difficult for me to believe that anyone actually finishes that book.
Peace wrote a book called GB84

Superb read about the miners strike

When I had a season ticket a few years ago, we got a fee copy of Mike Summerbee’s autobiography. Tbh it wasn’t something I would have bought and it stayed on the shelf for a while but out of boredom I tried a few pages, couldn’t put it down, it was a cracking read.

A must read for anyone interested in football in the 60s and 70s and of course City.

Modern Football is Rubbish, an A-Z of all that's wrong with the beautiful game, by Nick Davidson and Shaun Hunt....piss funny!

Foul, and the dirty game, both written by Andrew Jennings (who was instrumental in bringing down Sepp Blatter) in the first one he can’t really name names but in the second he most certainly does.
He also wrote 2 about corruption in the olympics called “the new lord of the rings” and “the great Olympic swindle” both well worth a read

More to it than cricket but Neville Cardus's autobiography has some lovely writing about his time as assistant cricket coach at Shrewsbury School and reporting for the Manchester Guardian on Roses matches at O.T. and England tours of Australia.

(Born in Rusholme but sadly didn't turn his talents much to writing about City.)

Neville Cardus and C.L.R. James! You couldn't get more absolute polar opposites, in their styles, and their interests. Both great lovers of cricket, though, and connoisseurs of the game.
James, by the way, wrote what is still considered the most serious book on the repercussions of 1789 in the French-speaking Caribbean — The Black Jacobins.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.