What's the best football book of all time?

Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson is certainly the football book I have enjoyed the most. Whether it is the best is obviously subjective, but it is a cracking account of the struggles of a lower league journeyman player.
He did another book as well iirc. Both great reads. Another shout out for Eamonn Dunphy's 'Only A Game?' which is a cracking read.

Conn's 'Richer Than God' is OK but you know where he's coming from. His book 'Fall Of The House of UEFA' is a good read though and he documents his lunch with Blatter after it was all over.

Daniel Slack Smith's 'Killing The Game' is something approaching an "official" book about the takeover so you have to read it within that context but there are some interesting insights in there.

David Bernstein's book is a must-read, as others have said. The state we were in when he became chairman and what he did to turn us round is an eye-opener. Him off the pitch and Andy Morrison on it saved us from potential oblivion. Having met him a few times, I must read Andy's book.

My vote would go to Duncan Hamilton's superb biography of Brian Clough - "Provided you dont kiss me."

The book charts his 20 year spell as the local newspaper reporter covering Forest's rise in the 70s to the best in Europe and the genius of Clough, followed by the descension into alcoholism and retirement after relegation. Its a warts and all tale that for people of my age (mid 50s) who can remember Cloughie in his pomp, will particularly enjoy.

Hamilton's reaction when he hears Clough has died is both genuine and highly emotional. Id highly recommend this book.

Nods are also worth making to Tony Adams autobiography "Addicted" and Joe McGinnis "The Miracle of Castel di Sangro"

He did another book as well iirc. Both great reads. Another shout out for Eamonn Dunphy's 'Only A Game?' which is a cracking read.

Conn's 'Richer Than God' is OK but you know where he's coming from. His book 'Fall Of The House of UEFA' is a good read though and he documents his lunch with Blatter after it was all over.

Daniel Slack Smith's 'Killing The Game' is something approaching an "official" book about the takeover so you have to read it within that context but there are some interesting insights in there.

David Bernstein's book is a must-read, as others have said. The state we were in when he became chairman and what he did to turn us round is an eye-opener. Him off the pitch and Andy Morrison on it saved us from potential oblivion. Having met him a few times, I must read Andy's book.
Sadly Conn shot himself in the foot in that book with his masturbatory chapter on the Moston Rag Socks and how they were the saviors of the game and the way forward.

When it came out it was run by chancers operating on nepotism and on par with Orwell's Animal Farm, Conn went missing in action.

The one journalist out there who made a career exposing rotten owners and boards kept quiet.....

Sadly Conn shot himself in the foot in that book with his masturbatory chapter on the Moston Rag Socks and how they were the saviors of the game and the way forward.

When it came out it was run by chancers operating on nepotism and on par with Orwell's Animal Farm, Conn went missing in action.

The one journalist out there who made a career exposing rotten owners and boards kept quiet.....
A 'like' isn't enough for that post.

He did more than shoot himself in the foot with that. He strapped a suicide belt round his waist and pushed the detonator.

My daughter bought me Made in Manchester. It's new this year. And it's all about Manchester. Social and economic history at its best. I've walloped the first fifty pages. The downside, I've not got there yet, is that there will be some Rag shit to wade through - they've got a graphic of The Swamp on the front. Mind, it's only the dust cover so that could be removed and yer could avoid the chapter. Trouble is it might be mixed up with that other team that won FOUR FUCKIN' PL TITLES IN A ROW! NOBODY HAD DONE THAT TILL NOW!
I bought that for my mum for her birthday. I’ll warn her off any rag nonsense.

I have a book token and believe it or not, I was thinking of purchasing a book with it. What's the best non fiction book to buy? Not the ones about City 'cos I've already read these.
the blue brazil was a good read.

About Cowdenbeath FC

Eamon Dunphy’s “Only a Game” is an absolute classic (for us FOCs at least) about Football in the 1970’s -I used to re-read it every pre season for a good few years -it’s that good

My daughter bought me Made in Manchester. It's new this year. And it's all about Manchester. Social and economic history at its best. I've walloped the first fifty pages. The downside, I've not got there yet, is that there will be some Rag shit to wade through - they've got a graphic of The Swamp on the front. Mind, it's only the dust cover so that could be removed and yer could avoid the chapter. Trouble is it might be mixed up with that other team that won FOUR FUCKIN' PL TITLES IN A ROW! NOBODY HAD DONE THAT TILL NOW!
I'm just reading Brian's previous book, Northerners, which is brilliant. We were at school together and are in touch, so any complaints/praise can be passed on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.