What's the best football book of all time.

CITY
GEORGE BEST AND 21 OTHERS: Colin Schindler.
Forget the title. It's a reflection of the 1964 FA Youth Cup Semi Final when United beat City 8-4 on aggregate, and the subsequent careers of those who featured.
Ironic, comical, and occasionally quite sad.

FOREVER BOYS: James Lawton:
A study of City's late 60s team and how they never quite achieved their potential

NON CITY
ALL PLAYED OUT: Pete Davis
An exhaustive and original account of the 1990 World Cup from the days when journalists were trusted by the England Management Team.

AJAX AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR: Simon Kuper
The author explores the myth surrounding the Dutch and their role in World War Two. It certainly made me look at the Holland 74 team in a slightly different light.

BACK HOME: Jeff Dawson
Using irony and reflective cynicism the author revisits the 1970 World Cup when England were the reigning World Champions.

Reactions: nmc
The book is far darker than the film and certainly more controversial as it portrays Clough as an alcoholic with a grudge.

I have a problem with books/ films that mix fiction with real life.

If it’s about William Wallace or some shit, crack on. It was that long ago that no one gives a fuck.

But when it’s about people still alive, or possibly worse, recently dead, either make it as factual as possible or completely make a story up with fictional characters.

I don't think it's the best book by any means, but I do think it's entertaining.

Red Card: How the U.S. Blew the Whistle on the World's Biggest Sports Scandal​

Really solid read on how the US was so annoyed after losing the WC bid to Qatar they went full bore on FIFA.

Best football read ever, is the Good the Mad and the Ugly by Andy Morrison. A great story of a deeply troubled man who is one of my all time City heroes. Played with pride in the Jersey and did more to rescue the club from the depths in 98 99 than any other man.

Not ghost written. Not by a hugely visible footballer, or about a hugely visible football club. Far from it. But if you want the nitty-gritty, what (really) goes on in the changing room, what a player (really) feels about his team mates, about opposition players, opposition clubs, what a player sometimes feels about the fans, the love and the hate that a player can have for his club and the business of earning his living kicking an inflated sphere around — Only A Game? by Eamon Dunphy. The club was Millwall F.C. The period was the seventies. It's structured around one season, one only, when Millwall felt they had a real chance of going up to the First Division. It's not objective, it's not always balanced and fair-minded, something which Dunphy admits willingly in the foreword he wrote for it. Just life in the trenches, in the mud, as it was lived for that season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.