What's the best football book of all time.

Andy Morrisons autobiography is great read.

Non City would be Defending the honour of Kiev, a book about the mainly Dynamo Kiev team playing against a German National Eleven and despite being warned against winning doing just that. Most of them were killed for it.

CITY
GEORGE BEST AND 21 OTHERS: Colin Schindler.
Forget the title. It's a reflection of the 1964 FA Youth Cup Semi Final when United beat City 8-4 on aggregate, and the subsequent careers of those who featured.
Ironic, comical, and occasionally quite sad.

FOREVER BOYS: James Lawton:
A study of City's late 60s team and how they never quite achieved their potential

NON CITY
ALL PLAYED OUT: Pete Davis
An exhaustive and original account of the 1990 World Cup from the days when journalists were trusted by the England Management Team.

AJAX AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR: Simon Kuper
The author explores the myth surrounding the Dutch and their role in World War Two. It certainly made me look at the Holland 74 team in a slightly different light.

BACK HOME: Jeff Dawson
Using irony and reflective cynicism the author revisits the 1970 World Cup when England were the reigning World Champions.

Loved back home. Thought it captured the era beautifully when Mexico really was a long way away.

Loved back home. Thought it captured the era beautifully when Mexico really was a long way away.
Yeah it's quite an evocative book and captures the moment perfectly.

It also contains a few subliminal City references such as the 1970 ECWC Final not being televised live, and also Colin Bell warming up on the sidelines when Beckenbauer scores, oblivious to the notion that in years to come, people will start to believe that he was already on the pitch.

Not fully football related but picked up "all round genius: the unknown story of Britain's greatest sportsman" in a charity shop years back and I always go back to it - and yes I have played table tennis his way to no avail.

CITY
GEORGE BEST AND 21 OTHERS: Colin Schindler.
Forget the title. It's a reflection of the 1964 FA Youth Cup Semi Final when United beat City 8-4 on aggregate, and the subsequent careers of those who featured.
Ironic, comical, and occasionally quite sad.

FOREVER BOYS: James Lawton:
A study of City's late 60s team and how they never quite achieved their potential

NON CITY
ALL PLAYED OUT: Pete Davis
An exhaustive and original account of the 1990 World Cup from the days when journalists were trusted by the England Management Team.

AJAX AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR: Simon Kuper
The author explores the myth surrounding the Dutch and their role in World War Two. It certainly made me look at the Holland 74 team in a slightly different light.

BACK HOME: Jeff Dawson
Using irony and reflective cynicism the author revisits the 1970 World Cup when England were the reigning World Champions.
Glad to see Forever Boys mentioned. Alison's funeral the catalyst for James Lawton a cub reporter covering City in 1968 to track down the 69/70 players. Loved it and reread it. Shared it and they loved it too. Special book about a very special time

George Best & 21 Others is similar approach in following up the City Utd 64 youth Cup semi final.players careers and lives post football every one, those that made the grade and those that didn't and what happened to them after. That said I think 20 of them played first team football for City & utd so not a bad crop.

Two for the FOCs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.