What's The Best Martial Art?

wayne71 said:
MMA said:
In my opinion its what suites the individual.
This is a topic that started what we have now with mma.
That is the whole philosophy of jkd.
Bruce got the ball rolling with it years ago.
Using karate as an example it is going to work for a guy whos 6 foot 5 and weighs 16 stone against an average sized man but i wouldnt want my mrs using it if she was in a bad situation ( could potentially make the attacker more aggressive.) hence is the art good or the person. Its not an art i would trust imho, its too robotic.
To cut a very long story short im an instructor in mixed martial arts, ive done em all and what i have always trusted in street fights as apposed to my mma fights ( 2 totally differnt kind of fighting) is panantukan ( filipino boxing) and kali silat.
As bruce once said you have 2 kinds of martial arts. the rock arts and the flower arts.
The flower arts are pretty to look at and look good but arnt affective ( karate, tae kwon do, ect).Then you have the rock arts thai boxing, western boxing, kali ect..

All sounds a bit violent, how many times you reckon you're gonna need this in your everyday life?

In my 38 years (not including playground scraps) I've been confronted with violence once, some bellend trying to break into my car with a screw driver, ran at him & aimed to kick in bollox with left foot and as it planted on the floor threw a right hand which dropped him.

Accounting for the fact I didnt have to confront him I wouldve gone 38 years violence free without training in your MMA's.

Genuine question and not trying to wind you up but apart from the fitness side of things are you not just making people more dangerous by giving them the tools to cause serious damage?
No mate. You filter out the knobs very quickly. Your ego gets left at the door. Its all about respect and making yourself a better person so you can diffuse a bad situation mentally. But if need be your confident enough to be able to protect yourself with something that actually works. Its like Einstein said.. chance favours the prepared mind.

As a young lad I did some Judo and then at collage a touch of Karate. I got into Thai Boxing and I used to train at Master Toddy's just off Picadilly Gardens. I stopped as I moved out of the area but I have to say I have never been as fit since.

More on topic can anyone remember a series on TV I think it was called 'The way of the warrior' it looked into different disciplines and martial arts from around the world. One of the episodes was in the Philippines. I can't remember it's name but the master of the technique used a small stick to strike pressure points. He showed press cuttings and court documents from a street attack in which was stabbed but still managed to kill about 10 guys and chase the rest off.

paphos-mcfc said:
Jeet_Kune_Do end of thread. was a style in itself with only one master RIP.

^^ THIS ^^

10yktix.jpg

The main man .............

MMA said:
alanjames24 said:
LOL my Sifu (he was a 5th dan) hated Seagal with a passion because his films were so shit, but mainly because everything Seagal does in his movies is effective and realistic!
I could tell you a funny story about seagal and " JUDO" Gene Lebelle.
Aikido is all about using your oppenents energy against themselves but its not an art i would trust in a street fight.
Whilst your friend is busy trying to grab my wrists i'll be busy elbowing him in the throat.
These pre staged seminars look good ( old man sending 20 people flying through the air).. but in the real world its not something for me.

What I was talking about was he was the first 'action' star to use close counter strikes, (elbows, knees, head) when idiots like Van Damme were throwing flashy high kicks around when in reality that shit would rarely ever work against somebody in the street with an ounce of know-how!

Jim Jam Yaha!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXMO9OJ8bFc[/youtube]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.