What's the biggest football rivalry in England? your top 3

In pure hatred, our derby is absolutely nothing like the biggest.

Millwall vs West Ham
Newcastle vs Sunderland
Portsmouth vs Southampton

There'd be plenty of others I'd put before us too. In hatred terms, I think it's always the case that the fiercest derbies are a continuation of the hatred off the pitch between two areas, towns or cities, rather than the source of it, and where the football clubs are clearly acknowledged to represent one side of the divide.

bumble said:
For pure hatred.
1. Villa V Birmingham
2. Man City v Rags
3.Newcastle V Sunderland.

For pure hatred.............

Millwall V West Ham
Portsmouth V Southampton
Forest V Derby

just because gates aren't so large, doesn't make the hate less...............<br /><br />-- Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:14 am --<br /><br />
DortmundDummy said:
In England....its without doubt City v united

For so many reasons I ca`nt be arsed writing them down.

Milwall v Westham is a totally different type of rivalry, London like to say anything north of Watford is parochial, but MFC v WHU is just that.

City V United ? Rubbish. Hatred is small chips compared to others.............

Spurs v Arsenal. The Spuds have never forgiven the Gooners for invading their patch from sarf of the river! And quite right to. Dippers and The Rags more hateful than the Derby I think. Though that may well change with our continued success. Lower leagues, Saints and Pompey takes a bit of beating. And abroad you'll go a long way to better the "atmosphere", at a Boco v River Plate game. I've been lucky enough to experience El Classico live at the Camp Nou. And the pure hatred for Madrid when they're in town is unbelievable. Makes our Mancunian get together seem like small beer.

I don't know why people seem to think our derby is that different from yours. If anything when they are incidents at our games their far more serous than most in the country. An 18 year old Liverpool fan was beaten to death in the weeks up to the game outside a club after Everton and Liverpool fans fought. A man nearly had his throat slit when a group of supporters attacked a pub. Another fans was stabbed on when he was walking to the game. So that's 1 murder and 2 nearly fatal stabbings. Unfortunately our derby is not freindly anymore. No derby is freindly. Every major derby in football is a hateful derby. I'd say the Merseyside derby is fast becoming 1 of the most vicious derbies in football sadly. The biggest derby is Newcastle v Sunderland in England. As it's a mutual hatred.

standupefc said:
I don't know why people seem to think our derby is that different from yours. If anything when they are incidents at our their far more serous than most in the country. An 18 year old Liverpool fan was beaten to death in the weeks up to the game outside a club after Everton and Liverpool fans fought. A man nearly had his throat slit when a group of supporters attacked a pub. Another fans was stabbed on when he was walking to the game. So that's 1 murder and 2 nearly fatal stabbings. Unfortunately our derby is not freindly anymore. No derby is freindly. Every major derby in football is a hateful derby. I'd say the Merseyside derby is fast becoming 1 of the most vicious derbies in football sadly. The biggest derby is Newcastle v Sunderland in England. As it's a mutual hatred.
This kind of goes with my theory that the more successful one club is than it's main rival, the less rivalry there is. You, like us, have had to watch your neighbour win all sorts for years, compete in the champs league an sign quality players. When its like that there is no rivalry in a sense, other than the 2 times you play each other. There is obviously rivalry, but it can't be as intense because the 'lesser' club simply can't have any bragging rights, other than a derby win. The 2 Sheffield clubs are a good example. Absolute horrid derby that, and I put that down to the fact they are competing on the same level, (when in the same league that is!), and the only thing that can make them top dog is that derby win. What we have had towards United is jealousy, and that is different to rivalry, (all in my opinion of course). The more successful we become though, the more that rivalry will intensify and our rivalry will be up there with the best of them. Imagine 2 clubs the size of City and United constantly out doing each other in the trophy stakes? That is serious rivalry. In your case, unless Liverpool buck their ideas up you will be competing only for that derby win or a place in the top 4, (with due respect).

If we're talking rivalry, and not derbies (both are different), then Man United v Liverpool is the biggest in England.

Liverpool vs United is just media hype.

Millwall vs West Ham? Just because of one night?

Blues vs Villa is just like ours...2 teams, 1 city, good banter outside of it, pure hatred during it.

All derbies are 'tasty' in their own way though.

-- Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:32 pm --

Pigeonho said:
standupefc said:
I don't know why people seem to think our derby is that different from yours. If anything when they are incidents at our their far more serous than most in the country. An 18 year old Liverpool fan was beaten to death in the weeks up to the game outside a club after Everton and Liverpool fans fought. A man nearly had his throat slit when a group of supporters attacked a pub. Another fans was stabbed on when he was walking to the game. So that's 1 murder and 2 nearly fatal stabbings. Unfortunately our derby is not freindly anymore. No derby is freindly. Every major derby in football is a hateful derby. I'd say the Merseyside derby is fast becoming 1 of the most vicious derbies in football sadly. The biggest derby is Newcastle v Sunderland in England. As it's a mutual hatred.
This kind of goes with my theory that the more successful one club is than it's main rival, the less rivalry there is. You, like us, have had to watch your neighbour win all sorts for years, compete in the champs league an sign quality players. When its like that there is no rivalry in a sense, other than the 2 times you play each other. There is obviously rivalry, but it can't be as intense because the 'lesser' club simply can't have any bragging rights, other than a derby win. The 2 Sheffield clubs are a good example. Absolute horrid derby that, and I put that down to the fact they are competing on the same level, (when in the same league that is!), and the only thing that can make them top dog is that derby win. What we have had towards United is jealousy, and that is different to rivalry, (all in my opinion of course). The more successful we become though, the more that rivalry will intensify and our rivalry will be up there with the best of them. Imagine 2 clubs the size of City and United constantly out doing each other in the trophy stakes? That is serious rivalry. In your case, unless Liverpool buck their ideas up you will be competing only for that derby win or a place in the top 4, (with due respect).

Jealously?

Sorry Pidge, I've defended you a lot on here when it comes to 'them' but this time, you are well and truly talking out of your arse.

If you're brought up to hate a team (United in this case), then you hate them, no matter if they've won everything or fuck all, you hate them because they're there.

If we're talking about local derby, I'd say City vs United is up there in the top 3 at least and most certainly will be the most hateful derby in the country in years to come, without doubt.

If we're talking about football rivalry and trophies but not local hatred, I'd say it's Liverpool vs United, but it's nowhere near the most hateful, imo, it's by far the most competitive though, as they're two of the most successful clubs in the country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.