What's the closest you have been to death?

We used to go to the river in the summer as you do but I couldn't swim very well but I was a decent dive and glider, there was a mini whirlpool we used to dare ourselves to dive through and we did it many times.

One time I misjudged and went to stand up but my feet didn't touch the bottom, I panicked and in all intent and purpose was drowning, a stranger dived in and pulled me out and got me back on the bank.

It must have been 79/80 so 7 or 8, never told my parents when I got back in and nobody else said a thing, I'm sure I would have said thanks to the man on the bank at the time but he probably deserved more praise tbh.

I always remember he gave me a bottle of Underwoods cream soda to drink the old 10p back glass bottle jobs, the nicest drink on earth but you can't get it now or for years tbh

When I was 4 we went to Blackpool on holiday, I'm not saying parenting in the 70's was lax but I somehow ended up on the cliff wall looking over the edge as if it was just a 2ft drop and not a very long way to rocks and stuff below, unceremoniously yanked back to the proper path when it was noticed, wasn't close to death but it might explain the first story and the lack of fear we felt as kids back then.

Sitting watching Shrek one Saturday morning in the TV tent at Basra waiting for my washing to finish... Heard a loud thump and remember thinking "I didn't know this tv was in surround sound"... A guy sticks his head through the door and shouts "incoming".. A mortar had landed about 30 feet from the tent...

A couple of weeks after I left a guy was killed in the same tent I'd slept in for 4 months by another round fired over the fence....

ABout 20 years ago I was driving down the M60 going under road bridge to the Sewage Works (from Roscoes roundabout) at Cheadle Heath and some scrote threw something very large and very heavy off the bridge onto the motorway. It hit the roof of my car about a foot behind the windscreen above my head and bounced off, left a huge dent! At 70mph, if I had arrived about a tenth of a second earlier it would have gone straight through the windscreen and probably killed me outright! :-(

ABout 20 years ago I was driving down the M60 going under road bridge to the Sewage Works (from Roscoes roundabout) at Cheadle Heath and some scrote threw something very large and very heavy off the bridge onto the motorway. It hit the roof of my car about a foot behind the windscreen above my head and bounced off, left a huge dent! At 70mph, if I had arrived about a tenth of a second earlier it would have gone straight through the windscreen and probably killed me outright! :-(
Probs the kids off swythamly

Knocked over by a car when I was a kid but somehow didnt have a scratch on me. I must have jumped when he hit me as i hit the roof, then the boot then the floor and ran home. Got mugged twice, once with a gun in a phone box so I had nowhere to go. I had just been paid and had £180 in my inside pocket of my jacket. Gave the delightful mugger the small change in my pocket and he asked if I had anything else and I said no. He reliped if I search you and find more i'm gonna kill you. Thankfully he didnt search me and then he got off. I should have taken up poker with that bluff. The other mugging was a guy with a scalpel at my throat. Managed to get away unscathed again. Emergency appendix surgery as well. Oh and nearly choked to death on a biscuit when my mate made me laugh and thankfully my other mate gave me the heimlich maneuver and I could breath again after about a minute, which seemed much longer as we were all tripping our tits off at the time. Oh and a cancer scare in 2018 which thankfully was just a cyst. Looking back on it, how the hell am I still here? Ha ha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.