What's the matter with Shrek

whats up with shrek ? NEWS OF THE WORLD today at least the birds are better than the granny he had hahahaha

Blue Mist said:
Why is it a ridiculous thing to write ? He is meant to be England's best striker. He has not scored for many months, he had an appalling World Cup and last night he played against a team ranked next to Scotland, apart from the chip I can't remember him getting a shot on target. Defoe came in for a huge amount of criticism from the media when he was selected but he did the job. I am trying to put bias to one side and look at Rooneys overall performance but I have to say that as a striker he is not doing what he is selected for. As for the 'who is better' argument, sadly unless we play Defoe on his own up front, (not a genuine option IMO) I am not sure their is anyone, but that does not mean Rooney is playing well that is more a reflection on how few decent English forwards we have. Rooney did little last night up front but did a lot as an attacking midfielder. I am only saying he was not selected for that role.

Because it's the Heskey argument again. There's a reason why the top professionals in the game, and lots of the top managers pick Heskey, while the fans don't see why. "But he's a striker....he should score goals!!" is the oft repeated catchphrase, and it's just fucking stupid.

A striker doesn't have to score goals, a striker is just somebody who plays at the top of the pitch.

If they are contributing to the overall play by helping others score, for example perhaps setting up EVERY GOAL in a 4-0 win, then he's more than doing his job.

Roma have played a 4-6-0 formation for a few years. Using this logic, they must score about 20 goals a season coming from midfield. Luckily enough though, the world doesn't work like that and they were near the top of the goalscoring and defending charts in Italy.<br /><br />-- Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:23 pm --<br /><br />
Bigga said:
Damocles said:
Right.

I'm not going to go off on one there, as I know from reading your posts in the past that you aren't a stupid person.

Maybe just think WHY he hasn't scored since May? Perhaps it's worth comparing the open play record of Tevez and Adebayor to him

Well, why hasn't he then?

He's a "world class striker" that goes missing in important games. That hasn't scored in OPEN PLAY for club OR country.

He's fast becoming an incarnation of Leed's Alan Smith!!

He hasn't scored in open play since May because there's been a close season in the middle of it.

What you actually mean is that he hasn't scored in 7 games for United whilst recovering from an injury at the backend of last season, and didn't score in the World CUp in an entirely dismal England team.

Bit of difference to "hasn't scored in 6 months" isn't it?

Damocles said:
Blue Mist said:
Why is it a ridiculous thing to write ? He is meant to be England's best striker. He has not scored for many months, he had an appalling World Cup and last night he played against a team ranked next to Scotland, apart from the chip I can't remember him getting a shot on target. Defoe came in for a huge amount of criticism from the media when he was selected but he did the job. I am trying to put bias to one side and look at Rooneys overall performance but I have to say that as a striker he is not doing what he is selected for. As for the 'who is better' argument, sadly unless we play Defoe on his own up front, (not a genuine option IMO) I am not sure their is anyone, but that does not mean Rooney is playing well that is more a reflection on how few decent English forwards we have. Rooney did little last night up front but did a lot as an attacking midfielder. I am only saying he was not selected for that role.

Because it's the Heskey argument again. There's a reason why the top professionals in the game, and lots of the top managers pick Heskey, while the fans don't see why. "But he's a striker....he should score goals!!" is the oft repeated catchphrase, and it's just fucking stupid.

A striker doesn't have to score goals, a striker is just somebody who plays at the top of the pitch.

If they are contributing to the overall play by helping others score, for example perhaps setting up EVERY GOAL in a 4-0 win, then he's more than doing his job.

Roma have played a 4-6-0 formation for a few years. Using this logic, they must score about 20 goals a season coming from midfield. Luckily enough though, the world doesn't work like that and they were near the top of the goalscoring and defending charts in Italy.

-- Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:23 pm --

Bigga said:
Well, why hasn't he then?

He's a "world class striker" that goes missing in important games. That hasn't scored in OPEN PLAY for club OR country.

He's fast becoming an incarnation of Leed's Alan Smith!!

He hasn't scored in open play since May because there's been a close season in the middle of it.

What you actually mean is that he hasn't scored in 7 games for United whilst recovering from an injury at the backend of last season, and didn't score in the World CUp in an entirely dismal England team.

Bit of difference to "hasn't scored in 6 months" isn't it?

Now you're just being silly! When sports commentators speak about a dip in form, they never mention the gap in the seasons, they refer to last point that a player scored in. I've done the same.

When people have a go at Tévez or Robinho's lack of goals they never refer to the injuries they were coming back from, so I'm using the same rule of thumb.

He has not scored in open play since MARCH (I gave him too much credit!!). I believe that's around 15 games, including England matches?

Damocles said:
If you think Hart is a better player than Rooney, there's just no arguing with an opinion like that, there really isn't. Isn't it funny how we all wonder WHY we don't have flocks of decent young players coming through when after a single cap, Hart is now more important than 3rd captain and England/CL/WC/EC veteran Wayne Rooney?

Ashley Cole you have a point on, but in my opinion I still don't think he's a better left back than Rooney is a striker. Rooney's one of the best in the world, there is absolutely no weaknesses in his game at all.
ashley cole is the best left back in the world.
rooney is the 3rd best striker in the prem.

Indeed, 30th March, Munich away was his last goal. He's played in 7 United games since then (6 if you don't include the Charity Shield) due to injury and close season, and in 5 of them hasn't completed 90 minutes.

Hardly a crisis.

northstander said:
whats up with shrek ? NEWS OF THE WORLD today at least the birds are better than the granny he had hahahaha

£1200! Would that be for a very good one or 1200 scrubbers at a quid each? Either way I am sure that the United STs are delighted that the inflated prices they pay go towards the top scorer(!) having a pleasant time away from the training ground.

blue dallas said:
Damocles said:
If you think Hart is a better player than Rooney, there's just no arguing with an opinion like that, there really isn't. Isn't it funny how we all wonder WHY we don't have flocks of decent young players coming through when after a single cap, Hart is now more important than 3rd captain and England/CL/WC/EC veteran Wayne Rooney?

Ashley Cole you have a point on, but in my opinion I still don't think he's a better left back than Rooney is a striker. Rooney's one of the best in the world, there is absolutely no weaknesses in his game at all.

Evra's the best left back in the world.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/besteleven.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awa ... leven.html</a>

Damocles said:
Indeed, 30th March, Munich away was his last goal. He's played in 7 United games since then (6 if you don't include the Charity Shield) due to injury and close season, and in 5 of them hasn't completed 90 minutes.

Hardly a crisis.

Couldn't score in a brothel that lad.

Damocles said:
blue dallas said:

Evra's the best left back in the world.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/besteleven.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awa ... leven.html</a>

wheres rooney in that list ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.