What's the problem(s)?

I think on the contrary, the problem isn't that pep isn't re-inventing himself, the problem is that he's changing too much. We're not doing the same things we used to do - we got beaten for possession vs leeds! We're not keeping the ball, and when we lose it we don't press for it back. Severely less tactical fouls when we do lose the ball and can't get it back. And on the attacking front it looks like a collection of individuals with almost no understanding of what they are supposed to do as a collective to create chances.

Not even mentioning the absolutely diabolical finishing.

The problem is 2 fold.
1. Pep is carrying the same tactic book around for 10 years now. Didnt really need to update it because (by and large) that shit worked.
2. Other teams have taken those tactics and played (metaphorically) with them. Absorbed what they could and cast off what they couldn't. A new breed of tactics has now emerged. Superseding peps originals.

Basically, Evolution happened!! Either evolve or perish!!!

The problem is 2 fold.
1. Pep is carrying the same tactic book around for 10 years now. Didnt really need to update it because (by and large) that shit worked.
2. Other teams have taken those tactics and played (metaphorically) with them. Absorbed what they could and cast off what they couldn't. A new breed of tactics has now emerged. Superseding peps originals.

Basically, Evolution happened!! Either evolve or perish!!!
Exactly. You can figure that out in our defeats. Before we used to lose by a margin of 1 or 2 but would have created major chances. The number of chances being created are decreasing so is the possession. The counter is still killing us and we are not able to penetrate the box that often. Ex- The fluke mahrez goal at Leicester or the solo effort of Sterling at Leeds

I think on the contrary, the problem isn't that pep isn't re-inventing himself, the problem is that he's changing too much. We're not doing the same things we used to do - we got beaten for possession vs leeds! We're not keeping the ball, and when we lose it we don't press for it back. Severely less tactical fouls when we do lose the ball and can't get it back. And on the attacking front it looks like a collection of individuals with almost no understanding of what they are supposed to do as a collective to create chances.

Not even mentioning the absolutely diabolical finishing.

I don't understand this.

Either Pep doesn't change or he's changing too much!

I think he's well aware that other managers have prepped there teams to play a certain way against us, so yes, change IS good!

It’s not difficult- it’s all about the contract. We saw the same drop off in Pellegrini‘s last season. He looks and sounds frustrated, he needs to sign a new deal and therefore reinvigorate himself which will influence the squad, or maybe (and I hope not) he needs to go before the season stumbles along like this until it’s too late.

I don't understand this.

Either Pep doesn't change or he's changing too much!

I think he's well aware that other managers have prepped there teams to play a certain way against us, so yes, change IS good!

I think his point has some merit.

Ultimately it's not that his original tactics don't work any more and we need to change, it's just that we aren't doing them any more and need to get back to playing that way. He has changed too much, rather than too little. Inverted FBs and classic wingers out and replaced by inverted wingers and overlapping FBs. The cohesive press has gone and been replaced by an infrequent press by individuals. Instead of constant keep ball waiting for the right opportunity, we're trying to forcing the opening more. Against Leeds we played a deeper defensive line than usual etc.

Perhaps it's instructions, perhaps it's fitness but we can't say that those tactics no longer work when we aren't even implementing them.

Ultimately it's not that his original tactics don't work any more and we need to change, it's just that we aren't doing them any more and need to get back to playing that way. He has changed too much, rather than too little. Inverted FBs and classic wingers out and replaced by inverted wingers and overlapping FBs. The cohesive press has gone and been replaced by an infrequent press by individuals. Instead of constant keep ball waiting for the right opportunity, we're trying to forcing the opening more. Against Leeds we played a deeper defensive line than usual etc.

Perhaps it's instructions, perhaps it's fitness but we can't say that those tactics no longer work when we aren't even implementing them.

It's early and there are slight fitness issues that will come in a few games. I would wait until game 10, before we see what's what with the team.

Maybe the problem is Peps tactics were so damn good that now 80% of all the leagues play this way. The man has revolutionised English football, but having everyone imitate leads to some pretty damn fine imitations being created.
And even the pale imitations can throw some spanners in the City works these days.

This

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.