What's wrong with the Premier League top teams?

Re: What's wrong with the Premier League?

The world class players are moving to Spain now, not England.

The likes of Ronaldo, Bale and Suarez left England for Spain and players of that quality simply haven't been brought into the league since.

You can talk all day about styles and tactics, but Barcelona's front 3 would probably be the best 3 players in our league.

The Premiership simply hasn't got players as good as the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Robben, Neymar, Suarez and Bale.

I don't think the top 3 or 4 teams in England have many world class players, like the likes of Bayern, Real Madrid and Barca. All those teams have at least 5 or 6 world class players.

moomba said:
supercrystal7 said:
moomba said:
Your talking about the decline of one team, not an entire league.
That team won the league in 2008 and won the league in 2013. That's the ages the players were of the first 11 at the end of the season.

If you want we can do the same with the Chelsea side.

I really don't know why you would bother at it doesn't prove a thing.

For a start, the quality of a league isn't just about the performances of the top sides in it.

Secondly, Chelsea are in a development stage, and over the past year or two have been rebuilding a team. Personally I think this one has the potential to be as good as the old one.

IMO there are three teams that are head and shoulders above anyone. I believe that would have been the case had those teams been around in their current formations 5 years ago. The core of one of those teams destroyed England's best team in two finals around 5 years ago.

Beyond that there are maybe a dozen that can win on a given day, and lose on a given day. Chelsea is part of that, Arsenal as well. We;re probably a step back, but we haven't really had a good run at the comp yet.

Well when we are discussing why English teams are doing badly we are talking about the elite. If we want to discuss the bottom then I can discuss that too.

Showing just how far the top teams have fallen does actually proof how weak the league is becoming.

Yes Chelsea are in the development stage, but they are still top of the league. We are not talking about how things will be in the future. Personally I don't think this team has anywhere near the potential of the past team. Costa will never be better than Drogba, Fabregas never better than Lampard, Cesar never better than Cole, Matic won't reach Makelele levels. Oscar is at a cross roads and Hazard could be really special as could Courtois. The defence though is significantly weaker.

No the last few years have shown that on any given day Atletico and Dortmund were better than either City or Chelsea. Atletico have an aging team so I expect a collapse soon whilst Dortmund already have. Those are 5 team that for the last few years have been above anything in England and generally outclassed the English teams.

I don't see how Arsenal can be in this discussion. 2nd every time in the group stage then they go out in the last 16. Arsenal should be compared to Schalke, Leverkusen and Shaktar, not even PSG/Chelsea let alone the rest.

As for this Barcelona team it's actually weaker than the Barcelona teams of the past. In virtually every position they are weaker than they were before except possibly Neymar against a slightly past it Henry. The Barcelona team used to have Xavi, Iniesta (not old but past it), Alves, Puyol, Henry, Villa and Iniesta in their primes. This Barcelona is just not as good. Even then whilst they could destroy United (due to United's relatively weak midfield), they always struggled against Chelsea. The Chelsea team of that period beat them more often than not and it took one of the worst ref displays for them to lose in 09. The United team of old would match up pretty well with this Madrid team and I would fancy them more times than not. It's only Bayern who really stand alone as something special.

supercrystal7 said:
Well when we are discussing why English teams are doing badly we are talking about the elite. If we want to discuss the bottom then I can discuss that too.

If we want to talk about why Chelsea is doing badly, why Arsenal is doing badly, why United is doing badly etc it would be a worthwhile discussion.

I don't agree that the top sides are doing badly but I understand people are going to react to the early exits.

But to put it all under the umbrella "whats wrong with the premier league" isa bit baffling to me.

The problems at Chelsea are different from the problems at other clubs. Nothing at all to do with this supposed "decline of the premier league".

Chelsea is IMO in great shape, I would imagine they will be there at the business end of next years champions league campaign as they were last year with a worse team.

We are in great shape, and with a friendlier draw will be up there as well.

Arsenal battered Monaco Tuesday night and were unlucky to go out on away goals.

Revisit this in a years time, and with not much effort you could have a totally different perspective. That wouldnt be the case if there was something intrinsically wrong with the league.

By the way compare our 2008 team to 2013 and tell me we're going downhill if you don't mind.

moomba said:
supercrystal7 said:

If we want to talk about why Chelsea is doing badly, why Arsenal is doing badly, why United is doing badly etc it would be a worthwhile discussion.

I don't agree that the top sides are doing badly but I understand people are going to react to the early exits.

But to put it all under the umbrella "whats wrong with the premier league" isa bit baffling to me.

I'll edit the thread title.

Even with the edited title, I'll still say nothing is wrong.

Chelsea are on the rise, they'll be up there in all comps next season.
We'll be there or thereabouts. See how our draw is.
Arsenal are improving too, if they keep building their squad they'll be very competitive.
Liverpool/Rags at their best will struggle against the top quality but capable of reaching the knockouts depending on the drawnand their form.

I really don't think things are that bad.

Other teams around Europe have lifted their game, and the big three are formidable. But I'd be surprised if at least two english teams don't reach the quarter finals next season, and maybe even beyond that.

TV money means many of the big players will be coming over here soon. It always goes in phases and English clubs will do well in Europe once again.

moomba said:

Arsenal are improving too, if they keep building their squad they'll be very competitive.
Liverpool/Rags at their best will struggle against the top quality but capable of reaching the knockouts depending on the drawnand their form.

Other teams around Europe have lifted their game, and the big three are formidable. But I'd be surprised if at least two english teams don't reach the quarter finals next season, and maybe even beyond that.

If your prediction / aspiration is two out of the last eight, i'd say that's still not great.

Last 30 years only been won 4 times by English team. Nothing strange about this season if you think about It. This theory of bottom teams in prem better than bottom of other leagues where's the stats to prove this myth.

Chippy_boy said:
moomba said:

If your prediction / aspiration is two out of the last eight, i'd say that's still not great.

I said at least two.

Maybe your expectations are a bit unrealistic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.