What's your Job Thread?

Pilot on a 650' ship on the Great Lakes over here carrying lime stone/iron ore/coal/road salt, all the glamour commodities.

At the age of 47, and only last month, I took the decision to retire!

After witnessing several losses both of colleagues and family in recent years, I decided life is too short; So after looking at my private income, and with minimal commited expenditure, I thought why not.

I'm not rich by any means and have never received an inheritance, what has helped however was a good military career and subsequent pension and several property deals. It's not been easy and sacrifices have been made, however other than mortgages, I have never had a loan or even a credit card and have adopted the philosophy to only buy when I need something and not when I want something.

Even after just a month, stress has all but disappeared and the freedom feels wonderful. For the first time in my life I am completely in control of my routine and all the nonsense I've put up with previously seems worth it. I'm just relieved that I've left work on my terms and I wasn't like many will be sadly, working towards a retirement that is taken away by early death or illness.

If anyone is in a similar situation and contemplating going for it then my advice is do it, as sadly life is very unpredictable!
Sounds like a plan. Hope it works out for you blue.

Area Manager for a financial company. Until last monday anyway! Still, 3 months on full pay and I get to keep the car.

At the age of 47, and only last month, I took the decision to retire!

After witnessing several losses both of colleagues and family in recent years, I decided life is too short; So after looking at my private income, and with minimal commited expenditure, I thought why not.

I'm not rich by any means and have never received an inheritance, what has helped however was a good military career and subsequent pension and several property deals. It's not been easy and sacrifices have been made, however other than mortgages, I have never had a loan or even a credit card and have adopted the philosophy to only buy when I need something and not when I want something.

Even after just a month, stress has all but disappeared and the freedom feels wonderful. For the first time in my life I am completely in control of my routine and all the nonsense I've put up with previously seems worth it. I'm just relieved that I've left work on my terms and I wasn't like many will be sadly, working towards a retirement that is taken away by early death or illness.

If anyone is in a similar situation and contemplating going for it then my advice is do it, as sadly life is very unpredictable!
Well done mate I've 5 1/2 years to go and can't bloody wait, I will be trying to do the square route of fuck all when I finish at 52, here too many horror stories of people staying on and crocking it within years.

Barrister.

Training was tough, jargon in particular. Hours can be anti social, but I make a mean mocha

Retired just over 2 years ago after 35 years as a pawnbroker. No chance of me going back.

for my sins i have my own business selling kitchens from a small showroom in stockport , people think we make fortunes ,the truth is our business is cutthroat we make a living and thats it !
but i would say it is very enjoyable and rewarding in other ways , i too used to hate my job /boss/company and the 9 to 5 existence but don't nowadays , nor do i wish my life away , cant wait till holidays or time off etc , this was the main reason i started my own business.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.