What's your Job Thread?

At the age of 47, and only last month, I took the decision to retire!

After witnessing several losses both of colleagues and family in recent years, I decided life is too short; So after looking at my private income, and with minimal commited expenditure, I thought why not.

I'm not rich by any means and have never received an inheritance, what has helped however was a good military career and subsequent pension and several property deals. It's not been easy and sacrifices have been made, however other than mortgages, I have never had a loan or even a credit card and have adopted the philosophy to only buy when I need something and not when I want something.

Even after just a month, stress has all but disappeared and the freedom feels wonderful. For the first time in my life I am completely in control of my routine and all the nonsense I've put up with previously seems worth it. I'm just relieved that I've left work on my terms and I wasn't like many will be sadly, working towards a retirement that is taken away by early death or illness.

If anyone is in a similar situation and contemplating going for it then my advice is do it, as sadly life is very unpredictable!
Stopping at 55 (3 years time).. My RAF pension goes up then to the full whack..

I had intended to keep going as I enjoy my work (though stressful at times) as the EU account manager for a major automotive company and responsible for a US OEM account.

My wife found out last month that she has Lymphoma so the sooner I hang up my boots the better!

I've seen too many friends and relatives miss out on retirement so I'll stop as planned..

I dont have a fancy job like some of you barstwewards on here, i work at TK Maxx processing deliveries, fucking love it if i'm honest. I'm thankful for having a job, and double thankful for one i like going to work for.

My job title says I'm a North of England Director in the Health sector.

The reality is that I'm mainly a sales rep / manager!

I'm a self employed mobile telecoms subcontractor installing 4G networks for all the networks, mainly EE and 3 at the moment. Work can be both physically and mentally demanding but it is enjoyable and varied having taken me all over the UK for the last 14 years. One of my most recent jobs was installing 4G on a tower for EE only 300m from the Colin Bell stand.
All so some of you can text yer mams to put you a couple of pop tarts in the toaster when you get back from the match!

I usually begin in some kind of marketing role then end up running various change management initiatives.
Pattern has repeated several times now, I think an official change in career direction may be calling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.