When did it all start to go wrong?

Balti said:
paulchapo said:
phil31 said:
I totally agree mate. Mancini was the perfect manager for City, He got us and we got him.

100%. He just got it from day one,his emotion and drive,his will to win,his tearing down that banner comment,rattling and standing toe to toe with that old bully Ferguson,his madcap antics,his ice cool demeanour he was one of us.

spot on

we shot ourselves in the foot big time

More misguided nostalgia

Balti said:
paulchapo said:
phil31 said:
I totally agree mate. Mancini was the perfect manager for City, He got us and we got him.

100%. He just got it from day one,his emotion and drive,his will to win,his tearing down that banner comment,rattling and standing toe to toe with that old bully Ferguson,his madcap antics,his ice cool demeanour he was one of us.

spot on

Got to agree - he came from Italy !!!!!
Forza Mancini
We've now got a gaffa who treats the players with a softly softly approach and they are definately not performing- Mancini should have been backed when the players supposedly started getting upset with him and the board should have backed him in his choice of player recruitment after he won the title
Targets - de Rossi/Martinez
Hazard
Rvp
Reality
Sinclair
Rodwell
Garcia
Ridiculous really when you look back

Are we even at the bottom of this descent yet. This season has been handled terribly from the word go. Pellers spouting the usual bullshit after every cock up. How the hell is he still in a job. 6 cup finals coming up, I'd feel a lot more confident without him in charge!

Ducado said:
Balti said:
paulchapo said:

spot on

More misguided nostalgia

In YOUR opinion. In mine and a fair few others it isn't. That is football it is all about opinions and we don't all agree. It isn't misguided nostalgia he won us our first trophy in 35 years and our first title in 44 is it?It is stark harsh facts in the record books. Look it up.Under manager you will see the name Roberto Mancini.

Balti said:
paulchapo said:
phil31 said:

spot on

I'm sure when the owners reflect they will see that strategically the upper management of the club got it wrong big time during the summer following our first Championship. Ok Mancini wanted RVP and DeRossi both of whom were the wrong age profile for the squad but I'm sure Mancini would have accepted two younger top quality additions in their place. As posters have rightly said, instead we got Rodwell and Sinclair and Mancini could not, rightly in my opinion, accept that.

Momentum is everything and the club and the decisions that summer cost us Mancini but also put the clubs plans back by at least five years.

The manager has to man-manage the players. This role is as important as coaching/team selection/tactics etc. If certain players decided that they weren't willing to play for Mancini then the club is simply left with a 'him' or 'them' decision. The same scenario could again be repeating itself with Pellegrini.

Amongst other problems, we have a few players showing a distinct loss of form, which is unfortunate but hopefully temporary, and a few players that regularly offer unacceptable levels of motivation, effort and passion. The latter problem is far from temporary and unless it's sorted once and for all it's likely we'll never see consistency from one season to the next. Although there's not a gulf of difference between the ages of the players in our squad there's certainly a huge difference in the maturity and mentality on show. We have those players that let emotions control their input and motivation, and then we have the real class acts that understand the importance of remaining focused and simply work harder to overcome any loss of confidence or form.

I honestly don't know what the solution is but I'm ruling out tactical formation, fitness or the introduction of a couple more players as any kind of 'holy grail' fix to the problem. Formation doesn't make you be 2nd to almost every 50/50 ball, It doesn't make the team slow down unnecessarily when attacking and it doesn't stop some of the taller players from winning aerial duels and corners against far smaller men. Until we get commitment and passion from the complete squad anything else (tactics/formation/squad rotation/fitness etc.) will be of secondary importance.

It may well be that we haven't yet found the right man to handle some of the attitudes/egos within our squad, however I do have a modicum of sympathy with Pellegrini when he said after the derby 'I don't understand why a team plays so well in the first 20 minutes'. I can't disagree with that comment, as we didn't go a man down, we had scored the opening goal and looked like we were going to steamroller them. I didn't notice any huge tactical change made by the rags to suddenly shift the balance of power. Baffling indeed...

When we got rid of Mancini for me, better the devil you know etc... I don't go for this chop and change the manager after a few bad results. In fact I think Pelligrini should stay until we get the right manager and that isn't Benitez or Simeone. Someone who can manage overpaid underachieving stars, the manager has got to match the ambitions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.