When did it change

The Salford lad.

Team supported
Manchester City
I got to thinking when did it change for me , I remember in the 80s how I wanted all British clubs to do well in Europe, and now for the life of me …. It’s gone to fcuk them , maybe it’s just the way I’ve seen the jealousy and bile I’ve read since the internet started …

Champions League.

Before it was just the country’s best team representing the league in the European Cup. The cup winner in the CWC and one it two got at shot at UEFA.

When the G14 manipulated the format to make sure they qualified almost regardless then I lost it.

Though to be fair, i only ever wanted the likes of Norwich or Raith Rovers to do well. Never the big red clubs anyway.

I remember wanting teams to do well as recently as when Liverpool beat Barcelona and Bellamy did that golf swing celebration (never the rags, though). Loved the Milan final too. Was well made up for them and English football.

Haven't felt any affinity for a UK club for some time though. Is it us that has changed? Or is it just the introduction of social media that enables you to view most fanbases as utter cunts?

I suppose when I was really young I was very patriotic like my dad, and for the love of football always wanted to cheer on English teams, like Forest but not so much Liverpool who were the main players in late 70's early 80's when it came to Europe, but fast forward to when the rags were the main representative it changed, even more later than that especially in 99, what we did that year was far more important as it should be being a blue, but that game they won v Bayern really and I mean really pissed me off.

They dined on it for years, but when we bring it to this day and age because of how rival fans have treated us and our club I hope they always get smashed whoever they play, and that goes for them all.

The only saving grace for me now is that we got that monkey off our back last June, and will as the rags did dine on it for years

I got to thinking when did it change for me , I remember in the 80s how I wanted all British clubs to do well in Europe, and now for the life of me …. It’s gone to fcuk them , maybe it’s just the way I’ve seen the jealousy and bile I’ve read since the internet started …
Social media is probably the reason.

I remember wanting Liverpool to beat Alaves in 2001ish and wasn’t too fussed about them winning in 2005.

I never wanted the other lot to win anything, but didn’t want Chelsea to win in 2012.

So somewhere between 2005 and 2012 for me. Probably enhanced when we started qualifying too.

One of the best nights of my year is the one when the rags get knocked out of whichever European competition they are playing in. Even better if they get knocked out in a home tie in front of their own entitled fans. I just love it.

In Europe, the rags final v Bayern. Wasn't too fussed about it up until sometime in the second half but was pretty pissed off by the end. I remember hoping for British wins for Ipswich, Villa, Forest and the dippers in the late 70s early 80s (because I was told I had to support the "British team" by my dad) but not much after 1985 for some reason.

Also I reckon France 98 was the last world cup I took a proper interest in.

I think years ago when we were shit I always reluctantly wanted an English team to win and of course England in the World Cup but once we started to get our shit together and the introduction of social media we can see how fans of other clubs see and treat us.
Also think it’s a generational thing with fans born in the late 90s going into the 2000 and beyond getting obsessed with everything they read as gospel.
You’ve only got to nip over to the old shithole or Klanfields forums to see the hate and vitriol that they type.
This alone makes clubs become a siege mentality, explains the victims down the lancs.
Things have changed with our success and with that success come the above hate.
We’ve become everybody’s second team to the most hated bar the dippers.
I don’t know a single fan who would want utd or the scousers to succeed in Europe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.