When did it change

Definitely since the invention of social media

Before that I only ever interacted with Rags so hated them and wanted them to lose every match

I remember cheering on all English teams in euro finals even as recently as 2005 when the dippers played in Istanbul

I remember celebrating when Liverpool beat Milan in 2005 but was actually annoyed when Chelsea somehow managed to shithouse their way to the European Cup in 2012. Unsure what changed for me in that period. Maybe it was because I no longer had to live vicariously through other teams' successes? Because I remember supporting England at the World Cup in 2006 but not being arsed at all when they were knocked out by Germany in 2010.

I remember the media gloating about the rags playing in front of a full house in the same week we had about 3,000 at some totally insignificant trophy game. In those days I never missed a match home or away and as I never expected to see us in a cl game, much less win it, I never begrudged the success other teams had. The pathetic digs by the red top media and fans of other clubs changed all that and now the boots on the other foot I want to see us win everything and grind their faces into the dirt.

The first time I remember anyone in Europe was United in the 1990-91 European Cup Winners’ Cup, and as a 9 year old I didn’t want them to win it at all.

When we played Monchengladbach in the 1978-79 UEFA Cup, Bob Paisley met with City and shared his notes and insight into their tactics with City as Liverpool had played them the season before.
That wouldn’t happen now!

Tbh It never changed for me.
As I am a certain age where having gone all over the country following City during the time when you encountered football violence everywhere I genuinely dislike everyone.
This is why I never followed England because if there was a Rag or any other top team player playing I wished him ill every time they went into a challenge.

Any game on tv was a novelty when I was a kid. You'd watch intently and route for one of the teams. We are saturated with games now. I rarely watch a non City match through nowadays.
Also think the Internet is a major culprit. Printed media is outdated and losing revenue. They've always shit stirred to generate the money but the net has increased competition. Any know fa can spout bollocks from an Internet account. The World has evolved in many ways, not all good

I got to thinking when did it change for me , I remember in the 80s how I wanted all British clubs to do well in Europe, and now for the life of me …. It’s gone to fcuk them , maybe it’s just the way I’ve seen the jealousy and bile I’ve read since the internet started …
You could probably do with a more sensible thread title ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.