When did it change

The first time I remember anyone in Europe was United in the 1990-91 European Cup Winners’ Cup, and as a 9 year old I didn’t want them to win it at all.

When we played Monchengladbach in the 1978-79 UEFA Cup, Bob Paisley met with City and shared his notes and insight into their tactics with City as Liverpool had played them the season before.
That wouldn’t happen now!
Apart from Bacon Face turning up at PSG's hotel in town to give them the low down on City.....
Not that it worked....

EDIT I see @dadnlad beat me to it!

I recall in my late teens happily.cheering on Forest, Villa, Ipswich (who were a very good side) and yes even Liverpool in finals - but always wanted the rags to lose in earlier rounds.
I think for me it changed after the ban on English clubs was lifted. We fans had become more tribal. Didn't particularly want Liverpool to win in 2005 but actually felt sorry for them at half time getting trounced and when it got to 3-2 I was like "come on" and even gave a big "yes!" When they equalised as it was an amazing performance 2nd half.
Would never have done that for the rags though.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.