When did it change

As a kid...any English team in Europe other than united... till Heysel 1985 and watching that unfold... stopped it for Liverpool as well.

It's only since the beginning of cartel caring PL and also the introduction of the 'Champions' league, that it has become... just City

I remember being really pleased when Celtic won the old European Cup. And while I can't say I supported Liverpool in their European ventures, I enjoyed watching them back in the day and took no particular joy in any defeats they had.

I can't believe it was ever like that! There was always a strong rivalry with the Rags, sure, but the real bitterness came in with Baconface and his constant belittling of City, even when we were about as much of a threat to them as Bolton is to us now. I think Baconface caused a lot of the increased hatred that is now taken for granted.

I remember being really pleased when Celtic won the old European Cup. And while I can't say I supported Liverpool in their European ventures, I enjoyed watching them back in the day and took no particular joy in any defeats they had.

I can't believe it was ever like that! There was always a strong rivalry with the Rags, sure, but the real bitterness came in with Baconface and his constant belittling of City, even when we were about as much of a threat to them as Bolton is to us now. I think Baconface caused a lot of the increased hatred that is now taken for granted.

Oh he did the smarmy ****, a lot if not all of it stemmed from him, bully boy, and the ironic thing is, as people (including Blues) will say he's the best there has ever been, well this guy at City now will end up having that mantle if he hasn't already.

It is so sweet that it's us and Pep that now have all the bragging rights and will do for a very long time yet.

"As Bolton is to us now" is absolutely spot on that statement as well.

I'm not sure it's ever changed completely, but the rise of forums, phone-ins and social media has definitely made it more toxic.

I wanted West Ham to win the Europa Conference last season, and I can think of quite a few clubs who'd I'd definitely want to be successful in the minor European tournaments

Not so sure about the Champions League.

I remember wanting Leeds to beat Bayern Munich and even Liverpool to beat Borussia Monchengladbach, but once I grew into my teens, my dislike for anything red became all consuming.
The only exception was Liverpool in 2005, but that was entirely because United wanted them to lose. Since then, I'm quite happy to concede that for completely different reasons, I would want either club (plus Arsenal) to lose.
Perhaps I'd support Newcastle, but I won't commit myself either way until it happens.

For me, when I started going on my own to City matches (especially away games) in the 80s in changed for me. Or at least going without my dad, In the 1970s as a kid I'd always go with him.
As others have said there were few live games on in the 70s/ early 80s, so when the likes of Forest, Liverpool (sorry!) and I guess Villa got to European Cup finals I tended to be rooting for them , though wouldn't have been too bothered had any of them lost.
When I fully understood all the tribalism and rivalry it stopped, in particular started to dislike Liverpool intensely after what their fans did at Heysel (and ofcourse English clubs were banned because of it)
I knew a couple of people (not City fans) who wanted United to win In 99 because the 'opponents were German' couldn't get that!
The fact that the media have seemed to so resent our success and seem delighted at every year we went without winning the CL it irritated me the fact they didn't seem so keen to will other English clubs to lose, so I have done more so
In truth though I have to say I didn't particularly have an issue with West Ham winning the Europa Conferance league (or whatever it's called) just before we won the Champions League.

They dined on it for years, but when we bring it to this day and age because of how rival fans have treated us and our club I hope they always get smashed whoever they play, and that goes for them all.
I think you broke the code!

I used to support the English team in Europe all the time, thinking “What if?” about City one day, but it all got spoiled when the ONLY thing some of the fans at these clubs have is rubbing your nose in their bought and paid for accomplishments.

Today, even City do it, so the entire worm has turned, but it used to be A SINGLE ENGLISH TEAM going to battle against the EUROPEAN ELITE, and it was an “us against them” mentality.

Today, I relish fucking Galatasaray winning at the Swamp and stuffing it up those red bastards and want at least one Liverpool player sent off and another one to get a hamstring in every game.

Despicable cunts, all based on their former glories not experienced by most in their teens, yet they call us for being the current Champions of England & Europe!

HAHAHAHAHA! Fuck em! Fuck em all!!!

Last edited:
Always wanted the rags to lose every game they play. Did any blue seriously want them to beat Bayern on "that night in Barcelona"™? Fuck that. As for TMM™, I never used to mind them way back when. "my enemy's enemy", and all that. But my feelings towards them changed after the game at Anfield in 2014 when they booed Yaya as he was being stretchered off. After the club taking out a full page ad in the match programme paying respect to the people who never came home after the semi final at Hillsborough. And events since then have only intensified my dislike for them. Spurs; I've hated them since 1981. And Arsenal have only fairly recently become (for me) a detestable bunch

I think you broke the code!

I used to support the English team in Europe all the time, thinking “What if?” about City one day, but it all got spoiled when the ONLY thing some of the fans at these clubs have is rubbing your nose in their bought and paid for accomplishments.

Today, even City do it, so the entire worm has turned, but it used to be A SINGLE ENGLISH TEAM going to battle against the EUROPEAN ELITE, and it was an “us against them” mentality.

Today, I relish fucking Galatasaray winning at the Swamp and stuffing it up those red bastards and want at least one Liverpool
Player sent off and another one to get a hamstring in every game.

Despicable cunts, all based on their former glories not experienced by most in their teens, yet they call us for being the current Champions of England & Europe!

HAHAHAHAHA! Fuck em! Fuck em all!!!

Expertly put.

Always wanted the rags to lose every game they play. Did any blue seriously want them to beat Bayern on "that night in Barcelona"™? Fuck that. As for TMM™, I never used to mind them way back when. "my enemy's enemy", and all that. But my feelings towards them changed after the game at Anfield in 2014 when they booed Yaya as he was being stretchered off. After the club taking out a full page ad in the match programme paying respect to the people who never came home after the semi final at Hillsborough. And events since then have only intensified my dislike for them. Spurs; I've hated them since 1981. And Arsenal have only fairly recently become (for me) a detestable bunch
No, but I do remember not being particularly arsed either way, maybe because we were so far of them in those days it seemed irrelevant as to what they did or didn't win.

I’ve never wanted the rags to win anything, it pisses me off if they even score a goal.

When we were shit I kind of wanted the other English teams to do well in Europe, even Liverpool back then. But since we’ve been in the CL I view every other English club in it as a direct rival and take great pleasure in seeing each one of them lose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.