Where did you sit/stand at Maine road

I’d been in every home section including the Gene Kelly stand but my preference was the Kippax.
Same here but the Kippax half way up near the away fans is where I mostly stood. I still think of Maine Road quite often and I still miss the place. I think of it before the platt lane in kippax where modernised . They were bloody awful stands done on the cheap.

Same here but the Kippax half way up near the away fans is where I mostly stood. I still think of Maine Road quite often and I still miss the place. I think of it before the platt lane in kippax where modernised on the cheap. They were bloody awful stands done on the cheap.

I’ve not been to Moss Side since my last match. No business there. It would also feel wrong.

I’m too young to have stood on the Kippax but my CC Lower season ticket is a special memory.

Kippax, normally about level with the penalty spot at the North Stand end, though if my mum came we went to windy corner as she preferred it there.

Year in exile in the Platt Lane then into the new Kippax lower, again about level with the penalty spot at the North Stand end.

Only ever went in the North Stand for the odd cup tie when we took someone who wouldn’t normally go. Only did the Main Stand once, for a youth cup game

Slightly off topic but Also seem to remember the rope they used one season to divide fans on the kippax , derby day & wolves in the cup I think ,
Mayhem

Liverpool was always mayhem aswell. remember one guy getting arrested in the car park at the back of the Kippax and he got loose. The copper just let his dog go.....the crowd parted like the red sea and I've never heard a male human squeal as much. The dog had the guys ankle in his mouth and was shaking it like a toy. The copper then sat on him to make matters worse.

I’ve not been to Moss Side since my last match. No business there. It would also feel wrong.

I’m too young to have stood on the Kippax but my CC Lower season ticket is a special memory.
h You missed out mate, the old Kippax was a special place etched deep in my heart and still clear in my mind's eye. The new stand, and the new platt lane were both too subbuteo like for me and quite bluntly shite. I don't recall many memories of sitting in them after they were built. Last few seasons I was a North stand regular.

Close your eyes, cast yours minds back, what can you hear?

You'll never take the Kippax

You'll never take the Kippax

You'll never take the Kippax. Alas: (

Not very pleasant!

My very early days as a Junior Blue were in "Family Stand" sections of the Main Stand and Plant Lane. Then it was a season in the new Kippax when it was just the bottom tier with no roof (coming back from 2-0 down to beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 sticks out from those days). But from '95 til the move it was North Stand Block R for me.

I started off down near the front of the old Kippax where the tunnel nearest to the North stand was. Went back when it reopened with the Spurs 5-2 and that Sheff Wednesday game being memorable times that season despite getting wet on many occasions. Had a spell in the North stand in the corner and then migrated over to the Platt lane after that.

I’d been in every home section including the Gene Kelly stand but my preference was the Kippax.

So far as I can remember I was in every stand at Maine Road with the exception of the North Stand (which I still, to this day, think of as the scoreboard end, and the Home of the eccentric Helen). A tiny handful of times, Platt Lane and Main Stand. I'm pretty sure that I was in Platt Lane for the midweek match against Liverpool in August,1969, because even all these decades later I clearly remember looking down the pitch at various times during the match at the scoreboard end, which was just a sea of red and white scarves and — despite myself — I was impressed. Could've been the May match of the previous season (thanks, Gary, Ric, and whoever else is responsible for setting up the excellent history section of this forum, by the way), but I doubt it, because I note that the crowd is much, much smaller. The one match I took my former wife to we went into the Main Stand because, well, she was a lady, wasn't she, and I thought that the Kippax might be a bit too full on for her…
But my location gives the game away: the vast majority of times, approximately under the Trumann's For Steel hoarding, just to right of that stanchion as you look across the pitch at the Kippax (very occasionally, if I couldn't elbow my way through to my favoured spot, then to the left of it). Being in countries and continents far afield through the eighties and nineties, I never sat in the redeveloped Kippax.
At the Etihad I've been in every stand except the Family which, I've been told on good authority, has a shit atmosphere. But now I'm mainly SS (despite having no Nazi affiliations or indeed sympathy of any kind for that ideology).

I started off in the little pay-on-the-gate bit between the Main Stand and the North Stand with my Father at 6 years old.

manchester-city-maine-road-north-stand-1-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

(The bit on the very left of this picture)

Went all over Maine Road after I got to about 9 years old. Me and me Dad didn’t have a season ticket, we just used to go to games as and when. But never really went in the Family Stand as my Dad used to get warned over his swearing.

Was gutted when the old Kippax was knocked down. I think the club really lost something that we’ve never got back. It was like we’d lost our left leg. We’d become a steady top half Prem side and then it seemed after the Kippax was knocked down, that’s when we started to lose it as a club again and we regressed. Obviously it was more to do with what was going on behind the scenes, in the dugout and on the pitch; but as a 12 year old, I used to think it was because we lost the Kippax.

manchester-city-maine-road-east-stand-1-1984-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

Come the end of Maine Road’s time me, my Dad, my Cousin and her son shared two season cards between us and we used to go to games randomly in the new Kippax, bottom tier towards the North Stand end.

For the final Saturday 15:00 home game against Boro I went in posh seats in the Main Stand and in the suite they served food. Met Malcolm Allison.

I had a season ticket on all four sides of Maine Rd over the years, 20 years in the North Stand block S before we got hoofed out for the away fans after Platt Lane was rebuilt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.