Where do we start

With the general election on the horizon where will the winning party start to put this Country right. There is so much wrong what in your opinions should be one of the first to fix.
There is no putting it right. For the people it matters to, there's nothing wrong with the country. All is fine.
Politicians are there to make outlandish promises that will never materialise. Just say stuff to keep the masses quiet for another 4 years.
On and on it goes.

It was the Tory leader about 1979 or 1980 who said that there was no such thing as society, and set about destroying community spirit.
Yes, I remember that.
Around the same time, her mentor, Sir Keith Joseph MP, said in response to a question about the alarming escalation of Unemployment, "THIS COUNTRY NEEDS MORE POVERTY, NOT LESS".

Oh, you cynic..

London’s Canary Wharf is getting a levelling up fund allocation of £242m for extra housing… it has been impacted by the exit of some major banks in recent months…’ @BBC
Who exactly is getting the money? Private developers? (AKA Tory donors)

Sorry but that is bollocks in this context.

This Tory Brexit gang are drawn from the shallowest end of the Tory Party gene pool and are basically the boiggest bunch of charlatans and grifters that have ever got their hands on power in this Country.

It's not 'hate' to want a government that runs the country in the best interests of the majority of it's citizens rather than for it's own enrichment and benefit of a few already wealthy donors.

This is another version of the old 'they're all the same' argument which is nonsense.

We have never seen such brazen graft and corruption before and just because this bunch of swivel-eyed loons have looted the country doesn't mean others will. Logically you can only say that these have done what they done, you have to elect another government and then criticise them on their actions, not assume that everyone is the same.

They've certainly lowered the reputation of all politicians - though on the doorstep I suspect a lot of those saying "You're all the same" are Tories who feel let down by the charlatans and can't bring themselves to think that the Tories they voted for really are uniquely shit.

It was the Tory leader about 1979 or 1980 who said that there was no such thing as society, and set about destroying community spirit.
She didn’t exactly say that. Somebody interviewing her said:
”Shouldn’t society be responsible for that?”
She replied “There’s no such thing as society; there are men and women and families, they should be responsible for….” Whatever it was, I forget.

She didn’t exactly say that. Somebody interviewing her said:
”Shouldn’t society be responsible for that?”
She replied “There’s no such thing as society; there are men and women and families, they should be responsible for….” Whatever it was, I forget.
I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand “I have a problem, it is the Government's job to cope with it!” or “I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!” “I am homeless, the Government must house me!” and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations, because there is no such thing as an entitlement unless someone has first met an obligation and it is, I think, one of the tragedies in which many of the benefits we give, which were meant to reassure people that if they were sick or ill there was a safety net and there was help, that many of the benefits which were meant to help people who were unfortunate—“It is all right. We joined together and we have these insurance schemes to look after it”. That was the objective, but somehow there are some people who have been manipulating the system and so some of those help and benefits that were meant to say to people: “All right, if you cannot get a job, you shall have a basic standard of living!” but when people come and say: “But what is the point of working? I can get as much on the dole!” You say: “Look! It is not from the dole. It is your neighbour who is supplying it and if you can earn your own living then really you have a duty to do it and you will feel very much better!”

There is also something else I should say to them: “If that does not give you a basic standard, you know, there are ways in which we top up the standard. You can get your housing benefit.”

But it went too far. If children have a problem, it is society that is at fault. There is no such thing as society. There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate.

We need the left wing in this country mate, sometimes as a moral conscience sometimes to be in power to keep it all in check. What IMHO we don't need is a bunch of Marxists forever banging on about how life would be so much better if you ate the same piece of bread your neighbour chewed on and if you owned a Cat you were a posh bastard ;)
Your understanding of Marxism is akin to that of a Madagascan tree climbing snail.

Your understanding of Marxism is akin to that of a Madagascan tree climbing snail.

That was partly my point Rascal, many of the mini Che's on this forum can't quite grasp the ideas of Marxism either.

My remark was tongue in cheek because as you know mate Marxism isn't going to roost at Westminster at any day soon.

We need to start with investing a lot more money in our armed services. Without it we are going to be at war - and anything we think is a problem today is going to look like a picnic.

It’s probably already too late mind. Yes I’m available for birthday parties, weddings and bar mitzvah’s
I agree pal and that does not happen often does it.

The state of our armed forces is a disgrace, my nephew joined the RAF, trained to be a Helicopter fixer, did two tours in Ahfganistan, came home and due to defence cuts was laid off, he loved his job, wanted to do the full term, instead he did 6 years. His training was wasted, he is a good lad too, hard working and loved serving his country. I am really proud of him. Loads like him were laid off and now our armed forces are shit. It should be a matter of national pride that we have good armed forces, properly equipped with the best available gear.

Old lefties like me have always supported strong armed forces, sadly Liberals and Tories saw the fall of the Berlin Wall as a reason to cut funding and use the money to give tax cuts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.