Where do you rank Hughes amongst City's past coaches?

I'd prefer to give my opinion on where I think we would be now,if our 3 previous managers had been given 18 months at the helm with a bottomless pit of cash from a patient owner.First,Keegan.I think it would have been similar to the division 1 season,but with defeats to the usual suspects and us handing out some real hidings.End of first season finished top 6,now probably top 3.Pearce,lots of 1-0s and 0-0s,but hard to beat and not much in the way of entertainment.End of season,6/7th.Now 4/5ft.Sven,would probably have done with City,what he did with Lazio when given no financial constraints,and go out and buy the best.(Don't forget,although he spent money under Frank,they were relatively unheard of prospects).End of season 3/4th.Now 2/3rd.I therefor rank Hughes alongside Pearce.He will achieve the publicly stated aim for the season of 5/6,and I think we'll win the CC and probably reach the last 4 in the Fa Cup.I can't see us finishing any higher without a strong leader in the side,such as Terry or Gerrard.

too early to tell, plus is he a coach? as managers go he's fantastic, just want we needed but as a coach in the true sense of the word the jury is out. one thing for sure he's nowhere near malcolm allison, i also had a lot of time for billy mcniell and howard kendall, keegan too was a decent coach,not as good a manager as though.

anymore than 2sheiks said:
I'd prefer to give my opinion on where I think we would be now,if our 3 previous managers had been given 18 months at the helm with a bottomless pit of cash from a patient owner.First,Keegan.I think it would have been similar to the division 1 season,but with defeats to the usual suspects and us handing out some real hidings.End of first season finished top 6,now probably top 3.Pearce,lots of 1-0s and 0-0s,but hard to beat and not much in the way of entertainment.End of season,6/7th.Now 4/5ft.Sven,would probably have done with City,what he did with Lazio when given no financial constraints,and go out and buy the best.(Don't forget,although he spent money under Frank,they were relatively unheard of prospects).End of season 3/4th.Now 2/3rd.I therefor rank Hughes alongside Pearce.He will achieve the publicly stated aim for the season of 5/6,and I think we'll win the CC and probably reach the last 4 in the Fa Cup.I can't see us finishing any higher without a strong leader in the side,such as Terry or Gerrard.

Like your take on this question. It seems to be the fairest way to do it. Although in Pearces case hypothetical as he never has had much money.

Keegan did pretty well at Newcastle with his superstars. Just falling short of Utd, when maybe they should have won. Sven with even more money won Seria A with a team that had no history of doing so.

At this point in time Hughes has not achieved what these two did. I suspect he might be able to do a Keegan. ie. spend alot, exciting games etc but ultimately out thought by the big beasts of English and European football.

Sven obviously was a better manager than Keegan. His record in many countries speaks for him. Odds are that MH will never achieve anything close. But as he is young we will have to wait and see.

When Mao Zedong was asked what were the consequences of the French Revolution, he replied that it was too early to say. I don't think we would have to wait a couple of hundred years for the answer to the thread title, but there isn't a basis for comparison, so I shall not make one.

My expectation is that he will rank with Mercer and Allison.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
When Mao Zedong was asked what were the consequences of the French Revolution, he replied that it was too early to say. I don't think we would have to wait a couple of hundred years for the answer to the thread title, but there isn't a basis for comparison, so I shall not make one.

My expectation is that he will rank with Mercer and Allison.

Wallace and Moyet?

alera said:
Not as good as sven - not by a long shot.

as much as sven didnt have enough time here neither has hughes and honestly the question can not be answered to the op at this time.

alera said:
Not as good as sven - not by a long shot.
Our owners would never employ someone like Sven.He has the morals of a tomcat.It would reflect very badly on them reading about their manager being up to his nuts in guts with a different bird every weekend.Me however,I think he's a fine fellow.His downfall is/was he can't lecture players on discipline,whilst behaving like a dirty old bleeder.

de niro said:
too early to tell, plus is he a coach? as managers go he's fantastic, just want we needed but as a coach in the true sense of the word the jury is out. one thing for sure he's nowhere near malcolm allison, i also had a lot of time for billy mcniell and howard kendall, keegan too was a decent coach,not as good a manager as though.

An interesting distinction between the coach and managers role. I don't see Hughes as a coach if only because he employs people to do that role and never seems to be hands on himself (I could be wrong here so correct away if I am). Maybe Hughes sets out the coaching parameters for the other coaches to follow but again I wouldn't know.

My biggest criticism* of Hughes though is as a manager or to be exact as a leader. He just ain't leadership material for me. He's more of a mid level civil service manager who will obsess over the little things and preparation and things being just right (important stuff yes) but inspire us to dominate domestic and European football? No chance. Well okay some chance if you spend 100's of millions and buy all the best players but otherwise not a hope in hell.

Its funny how we see people differently. I don't even see Hughes as a winner which all the media insist he is even if he hasn't actually er won anything :) I guess he reminds me too much of Souness who was another god awful manager with a reputation for toughness which usually just ended up with him f**king up the football club. Always amazed me how many people bought into that macho bollocks and seemed to overlook the fact that the guy was a total cock. Funny old world.

* Oh and that he is dull. D-U double L dull as Craig Revel H would say. If this was 'Strictly Football Manager' Hughes would be Craig Kelly but way duller

BobKowalski said:
de niro said:

An interesting distinction between the coach and managers role. I don't see Hughes as a coach if only because he employs people to do that role and never seems to be hands on himself (I could be wrong here so correct away if I am). Maybe Hughes sets out the coaching parameters for the other coaches to follow but again I wouldn't know.

My biggest criticism* of Hughes though is as a manager or to be exact as a leader. He just ain't leadership material for me. He's more of a mid level civil service manager who will obsess over the little things and preparation and things being just right (important stuff yes) but inspire us to dominate domestic and European football? No chance. Well okay some chance if you spend 100's of millions and buy all the best players but otherwise not a hope in hell.

Its funny how we see people differently. I don't even see Hughes as a winner which all the media insist he is even if he hasn't actually er won anything :) I guess he reminds me too much of Souness who was another god awful manager with a reputation for toughness which usually just ended up with him f**king up the football club. Always amazed me how many people bought into that macho bollocks and seemed to overlook the fact that the guy was a total cock. Funny old world.

* Oh and that he is dull. D-U double L dull as Craig Revel H would say. If this was 'Strictly Football Manager' Hughes would be Craig Kelly but way duller

While I largely concur with your perceptions of Hughes the "Winner"... I must take issue with your slaughtering of Souness as managerial talent.

Never particlaulrly liked the bloke as a manager, but his track record is not THAT bad... certainly in comparison to various other "best young British managers".

Won loads at Rangers... got them to a European semi-final... won an FA Cup with Liverpool... got Southampton to an FA Cup Final... won stuff in Turkey... even did what Hughes failed to achieve in his magnificent management at Blackburn, by actually winning a trophy there as well.

I just thought you were a tad harsh seeing as the measure of a manager is usually trophies. And he leaves Hughes, Moyes, Redknapp et al in his wake.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.